I Forge Iron

anvil repair

ok well i bought a vulcan 110# anvil about 2 months ago and the end of the horn was flattend ... how do i fix this? if you can also te face is pretty dented and i was wondering if i could take a porable belt sader and smooth out the top

dont mind the fire poker im not near m anvil to take new pics:D

7188.attach

7189.attach

I'd just start hammering hot metal on it, it'll smooth out. You could probably hammer out a bickern for the hardy hole and save a lot of grinding time, forging instead of grinding, and youll come out with a tool and wont have wasted the $$$ on abrasives. just a thought. :o

Grinding on the face of a Vulcan scares the socks off me. Thin to start with. Besides I don't see a whole lot wrong with that face that a bit of working hot metal on it won't cure.
Listen to Frosty and Mark.
Finnr

I'd forge a bickern and leave the nose of the anvil alone; sharp nosed anvils are not very friendly when you accidently run into them in the shop! (and usually at an unfortunate height too).

If you are just getting started do *NOT* clean up the face until after your learning experiences---if at all. Vulcan's tend toward the soft and thin face in my experience

I agree with Thomas. A sharp horn is usually not necessary, and sure does hurt. I tend to walk between my main anvil to get to the swedge block or the smaller anvil (set higher) and If I'm not careful it catches me right on the hip...ouch!

You can remove the mushrooming, but don't make it too sharp.

Steve