I Forge Iron

Begining Smith from AZ

BlueRuStudios

Hello y'all!

I found this wonderful repository from Torbjörn Åhman. I am in the process of building a gas forge and on the lookout for a decent learner's anvil. I look forward to gleaning as much knowledge as I can and sharing my growth through this hobby.

A little about myself; my name is Alex. I'm a federal technician that is a mechanic for the National Guard. I've been in the Army for 9 years and a mechanic, professionally, for over 10. I do plenty of diy around the house and have recently found a love and desire to craft with metal.

Cheers!

Thanks for the warm welcome!

19 hours ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

...READ THIS FIRST

If you edit your profile to show your location.. 

Thank you! I made sure to read that before I made any post. Also, I thought it took last night, but successfully updated.

8 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Have you met up with the AZ ABANA Affiliate yet?

I haven't had the pleasure yet. I'm planning on jumping into a couple classes at Grizzly in the next few months.

2 hours ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

Where in AZ?

I'm down in Phoenix!

• 1 month later...
23 minutes ago, FlatLiner said:

Welcome read up on the improvised anvil thread, sometimes its easier and cheeper to find an improvised anvil to begin with.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I actually finished up the forge and will making a smaller one this weekend. I ended up buying a good piece of rr track and it's working alright. Still looking out for a cost effective anvil. I did start the forge and work a little bit and I'm loving the learning so far!

Do you have your RR track mounted vertically? It will work a lot better than laying horizontally. I have a piece that's thirty inches and 115 pounds mounted vertically and it works pretty good. Definitely look through the improvised anvil forum and you'll get a better idea of what an anvil is. They don't have to look like  Wile E. Coyote ordered it from ACME.

Pnut

Sears used to have everything. I have a lever action Winchester that's a Ted Williams Sears and Roebuck branded model. Old Ted licensed his name to Sears for about any vaguely sports related product you can think of. 

Pnut

No kidding. I've seen some surprising things for sale in the old catalogues. Weird drugs and patent medicines, quack medical devices, and yes many of the      "rare" and "valuable" treasures offered on Craigslist and the like were the cheap late 19th early 20th century equivalent of today's harbor freight tools. People today equate age with value regardless of quality instead of quality with value regardless of age.

Pnut

Edited by pnut

There is also the "artifact of preservation" at work where the cheap stuff was more often used, abused, and tossed when it was "trashed"  leaving fewer of them around today than the top of the line stuff that was gently handled, maintained and passed on.  Me I'd rather have the *good* stuff over the *rare* stuff

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2019 at 2:45 PM, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

Phoenix is big enough that you should be able to score a big chunk of steel easy enough for an improvised anvil.

Well, I actually have 2 usable improvised right now. I bought a piece of rr track that is being used the right way and a 2' section of I-beam I'm just not sure what to do with yet. I have located, and started cutting the welds off, a large chunk of steel 1"ish thick. I actually made my first piece tonight! It's a poorly forged leaf...thing. I learned a bunch and plan on getting after it a bit more tomorrow morning!Snapchat-285588200.thumb.jpg.fa959eab9e9004a56262350ad097c65b.jpg