I Forge Iron

Carving hatchet build (NEB demo) 9/19

Thanks. I once seen a kid when I was a cub scout using a carving hatchet handled for a left handed person right handed. He couldn't figure out why it wasn't working as good for him as it was for the guy showing us how to make chairs. He is now in state government:lol:.

Pnut

The man showing us how to make the chairs was Chester Cornett and a helper whose name I don't remember. He lived in Cincinnati but knew my stepdad from the mountains. Anyone interested in chairmaking should look into him. He was an amazing craftsman and a unique person.

Edited by pnut

JLPSERVICES,the more I look at your hatchet the more impressive I realize it is. Just noticed the bevels on the outside of the tool that will be facing away from the wood. I aspire to be as accomplished one day as this example shows you are. Kudos.

Pnut

I love the small scale!  Personally I prefer my carving hatchets beveled on both sides and worked ambidextrously.  They cut curves better that way and the angles give clearance for the hatchet eye.  I do like fairly long bevels and I quite often do some splitting with mine.  A smaller and lighter version like this is nice for small scale work like carving spoons... which I like to do.  I am a big fan of small axes!

I only use axes in the rough out phase.  A drawknife and shaving horse is most efficient once the rough splitting is done... but not as portable as an axe.  Sloyd  knife and hook knives are generally most effective after the profiles are roughed out.  Except for the interior of the bowl, skillful drawknife work can bring a spoon to near completion in an amazingly short time!

Axes and sloyd knives can do all the work that a drawknife will... but they are slower.  It’s nice to have them for working in the field though!  The ambience of working in the forest is hard to beat!

indigenous tribes of the northeast called them Crook knives. 

Look a lot like and early century hoof knive. 

Bigfootnampa,  I actually like a slight sweep to the blade.. One sided but with a little curve to it.  This was just at the NEB fall meet and to get some practice in before the big day of the demo.   But for most it will work fine and the welded edge can be made with a slight bevel to it to adjust for cutting angle. 

It's dead flat now.  but with just a little taken off the edge can change the cutting position to fairly neutral.  this Works great swung or pushed.  Blade could have been made a little shorter, but happy overall. 

2 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

indigenous tribes of the northeast called them Crook knives. 

They are called crooked knives  (and/or hook  knives),   by native tribes on the west coast of Canada, and the U.S.A. (e.g. Haida etc.).

You can see two good examples of them in the latest Lee Valley catalogue.

Look under Narex crook knives.

They used to carry a much wider section of those knives in years past. Those tools were hand smithed by a fellow on the west coast.

The knives take getting used to as the carver pulls the blade,  into the work,  towards him,  (she).

Once the skill is mastered they work very well.

SLAG.

Mostly I work my hook knives with a very powerful pulling wrist twist stroke.  You should not use your arms to pull toward yourself!  That is too dangerous!  The wrist twist is strong and quick and safe.  It works best when taking many small bites, quickly.  Skill is an underrated factor in using hook knives.  They are MUCH more efficient in the hands of experts!