I Forge Iron

50 cents, U.S. per pound?????

On 9/22/2019 at 8:20 PM, Chris The Curious said:

Glad you beat'em to it.  Made me grin, to say the least.  Sorry, but "dealers" irritate me.  

Oh it felt real good to beat them. They come to the yard sales and snatch things up real quick and resell it. One yard sale had 2 1/2 air impacts side by side, one was old school Snapon and one was Harbor Freight. Stupidly I asked how much for the HF and the lady says $5 and before I could ask how much for the Snapon the other guy asked and he got it for $5, later I found out he was a dealer when he came to my house to buy my old Okeefe and Merrit range.

Well, just got home from a 6 hour trip.  The "wing and a prayer" anvil was a bust..............but the owner did give me a tip..............which was also a bust.  So that's two more "possibles" to check off the list.  Got my ribbon burner body back from my friend who was doing some welding on it, so I'll get started on casting the burner asap.  Who knows, I may actually start forging at home some day.  !!!!! :wacko::blink:;)

Yeah the dealer thing does grind my grits.  I was at a tax auction for the property next to mine.  My wife and I saved every scrap we could to go to the auction and own that nice piece of woods.  Sitting in the same row were two idiots discussing how they could buy the property, take the timber out and get the gravel out of it then let it go back up for taxes again.  All they cared about was greed and making money off it.  I'm all for capitalism, but when greed drives you it changes you.  Funny end to the story was that I got outbid at auction by a late comer.  I set my price and stopped bidding when it went over.  I waited for the guy to exit the auction and introduced myself to him.  Turns out we went to the same high school back in the day and I told him to park anytime in my driveway to have access to his land.  7 months later he came to me wanting to sell.  He'd even built a cabin on the property.  Sometimes there is a happy ending.  The same thing can happen with anvils.  Nope, not selling.........2 hour trip that turns out to be a bust........then one day one of those efforts pays off when the guy not selling decides to call you or the 2 hour trip guy says that he just found another anvil.  Sometimes you just have to wait out your impatience.  

Yup.  It happens that way sometimes, MC..............just hasn't ever happened to me.  But I'm not quitting my TAAAP routine.  Yesterday when I stopped for fuel, an old farmer got out of his truck to pump gas.  First thing out of my mouth after "Howdy" was "Do you know anyone who has an anvil they might be willing to sell?" :lol:

Chris

Chris

You have a 50# anvil so you obviously want bigger. What are you looking for ? How big and what type of price range ? I know someone that has several anvils that he would probably sell.

I have a trip planned to Norman Ok. this coming Monday the 30th and again a week or so later. If you give me an idea about what you want I can see if he has anything that fits your needs and budget. Not quite the same as an impulse buy but free shipping to norman and you could see , feel, touch , bounce balls upon, etc before purchasing which beats internet purchases.

PM me if you want

David