I Forge Iron

First dressing of old/new hammers

picker77

I've been so wrapped up in getting a working forge setup done I neglected until now to clean up and dress my meager collection of new and old hammers. Finally finished, I hope. Although I'm a first timer at hammer dressing, I tried to follow the advice and rules I read on IFI about how to do this. They look pretty good to me, and if I can learn to use them correctly, I believe they will do the job.

Left to right in the photos of five hammers, are a 2 lb rounder, a 3-1/2 lb straight that was my grandfather's, a 2.2 lb Swedish cross, a 1-3/4 lb Swedish cross, and finally a 1 lb cross pein that also was my grandfather's (I see I left out the small 1-pounder in one of the photos). The two that were my grandfather's are from the early 1900's, probably about 1915 or earlier. I assume that 3-1/2 pound straight pein is way too much hammer for a beginner, but dang, it feels good in my hand.

Not pictured are 8-lb and 4-lb sledges, and my all time favorite "speed wrench", a fat little short handled 3-lb sledge I've owned since my 20's (50+ years), and several miscellaneous dead blow and different durometer rubber hammers. When I dragged them all out at once I was a little surprised at how many hammers I've collected over the years. Fortunately my wife didn't come out to the shop while I had them all laid out, that would probably have been hard to explain, lol.

DSC01182.JPG

DSC01175.JPG

DSC01186.JPG

Thanks, folks, for the encouraging words. Bigfootnampa, I think I'll pass on owning a Hofi -- the home forge is paid for, and we don't want another mortgage. :) Besides, a hammer like that would be wasted on a newbie like me until I've developed enough of a feel to appreciate it.

My only comment is that in my personal experience I prefer a hammer that isn't quite polished to a mirror finish.  I don't care for the slick feel it gives on the hot metal.  I suggest that you try some surfaces from just smooth up to mirror finish and see what feels good for you.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Thanks, George. I'll keep that in mind. Sometimes when I get into polishing something I never know when to stop, ha. They probably won't stay shiny very long, I don't doubt I'll have them roughed up some in short order just from use. Was up your way (well, sort of - Shell Canyon area) recently, it was nice to breath that cool, dry Wyoming air again. Around here lately, breathing requires cutting off a chunk of air with your pocket knife and chewing on it. :(

Nice. My preference is for my cross peens to be flat cut, not rounded or narrow. I would dress at least one cross peen about 1/2"- 5/8" wide. Very Slightly rounded face and dressed edges. The black ceoss peen would be my hammer of choice.

Have fun

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/5/2019 at 9:38 AM, Rojo Pedro said:

favorite cross pien

Here you go. The small one is more a special use cross peen. It's too narrow for me to be effective for "daily use". It is about 3/8" wide.

The other is about 5/8" wide and basically the other end of my "daily driver"

I consider a rounded cross peen a special use tool as well. 

For me, to move iron in a particular direction, you can't beat that 5/8" width with the edges dressed as you see.

2017-08-14 08.58.58_38.JPG