I Forge Iron

First kukri

killbox21

I make mine the same except I add a few tea bags for tannins.

Pnut

To concentrate it quickly I put it in a Pyrex measuring cup and put it on the heating plate of an old coffee maker until it's dark enough.

Edited by pnut

heating temperature, Mr. Pnut, et al.,

Oak leaves and acorns have large amounts of tannins. (red oaks have more than white oaks).  A steel wool soak in acetic acid,  (i.e.  vinegar),  and then treating it with ammonia vapor will dramatically speed up the reaction.

Test this chemical treatment on  leather scraps before using it on valuable leather items.  (in order to determine concentration of the chemicals,  and soak times, etc. ).

SLAG.

• 4 weeks later...

There was a few old Gurkhas that visited the Hebrides a few years ago and one of them left a Kukri behind the bar in the local, we admire it from time to time. Jeez, they are sharp and such a weapon, when you hold them you can feel the damage they could do.  Yours is pretty impressive,  nice scabbard too. I’d love to try tooling leather for the sgian dubhs I’ve made.  Difficult? 

It's really not bad at all. I have only been working with leather a few months and have really picked up on it fast. You can look up #cmaggardmetalworks on Instagram to see some of the sheaths I've been making. I just watched a bunch of YouTube videos, ordered some stuff and went at it,which is also how I started making knives and blacksmithing. 

A good awl is a must. I have a friend who repairs tack at turfway park racecourse. She gave me a thing that has a leather pad in the palm and a strip that fits over the index and middle finger. It makes stitching much easier. Another trick is lubing the thread with beeswax before stitching and also making holes with an awl instead of trying to push a needle through the leather makes it much easier on the hands. These are probably already known to you but I thought I'd post them in hopes of helping someone who doesn't know. Once again KB21, Nice work.

Pnut