I Forge Iron

What to do with a rusty anvil

Hello all. I have about a 200 lb anvil. It looks forged with no casting marks. Don't know if there are markings will look tomorrow. But It has about 3yrs of rust / exposed to the outside. Its not too bad. Clean sides and horn. Will take a picture tomorrow too. But How do I clean it up.

I don't use it but got it from my grandfather's death. And you never know Might start pounding metal myself one day. If Anyone could help it would be a great help. And how do I put a Anvil in mothballs?

See if you can get any kind of name/numbers off of the side, that will tell you who made it and how much it weighs.
If the face, horn, and edges are all in good shape then takea wire brush or scotch bright to it or if the rust is real heavy (hopefully no pitting) you can take a wire wheel in a drill to it, after you get it all cleaned up you could paint the sides if you want but personally if it can be kept inside I would just oil it up real good or if it is going to be stored in a damp area or out side you may just want to paint the whole thing, or you can give the whole thing a coat of grease and cover it up.
One of the best preservative's I have found is called Corrosion X, made by Corrosion Technologies Corp. in Dallas Texas , it's not real cheap but well worth it's money and can be used as a corrosion/rust preventor, penetrant or lubricant. I always give my anvil a light coat when I'm done.....great stuff!!
I get it at work but I'm sure if you go on their web site you can probably find out where to buy it, Caterpillar actually uses it to coat all of their engines before delivery which is how we found it and we order it in bulk, so I can't tell you for sure where to get it but I did hear once that True Value and I think Ace hardware stores, (some at least) carry it.

welder19

Rust is actually a good protectant so you may simply want to brush off the loose dirt and oil it. If you are not going to use it for a while, it can also be waxed just like an automobile.

This is also true, you can just brush off the loose stuff and oil it up, that will keep it from getting any worse or pitting.

welder19

I watched a Josh Greenwood demo one time and said that the rust actually helps hold the work still as you hit it. He said that he never removes light rust for that reason. So I would, as someone else wrote, brush off the thick, heavy stuff and try out the anvil before polishing to a nice clean finish.

Fantastic anvil....just like it is, just wire brush a little and use some type of oil or wax and get to using it! I did notice in pictures #3 & #5 that someone has welded the letter "D" on the waist...no problem there either, just part of her history. I would not paint it though and the reason being you will use ALL of the anvil at some time along the way and you don't want to be smelling burning paint while you work, at least I don't. And welding on the face or edge of the anvil will cause you a LOT more work then you think if you want to do it correctly. This type of work to restore an anvil is usually a last resort, your's is in too good of shape for this. There's the thing of preheat and postheat plus it will then need to be heat treated in order to bring it all back right. Otherwise you will create soft spots near the heat effect zone of the weld "repair". My main anvil had worse places on it that this one does and I have sanded them with a belt sander and the anvil looks as tho it was made that way. Also it looks as though dirtdobbers have nested in the hardie hole.

I'm sure your Grandfather would love for you to learn how to use it so if you would go to the top of the page and click on "User CP" and edit your profile giving your location. Someone in your area would be glad to help you get started with this wonderful addiction of blacksmithing!! And if you are close to Longview, TX shoot me a private message and we can hook up here at my shop. You NEED to learn how to use this beauty! :)

the rust actually helps hold the work still as you hit it.
Now why are blacksmiths not putting all types of stuff on the anvil face to create rust to hold the work still? I think most blacksmiths use some sort of dog, hold fast, or even a vise.

If you use any tool, there is very little, if any, rust. That is an anvil, chain, wrench, whatever. It is when the tool experiences disuse that the rust starts. Rust is oxidation, so use a product that inhibits oxygen getting to the metal. A good industrial paint comes to mind for long term protection, and it should be applied as needed and/or on a regular basis.

I got my second anvil in '76 and it looked much like yours. I did nothing to it but start using it and the rust disappeared off of the face and horn. On the sides it just wire brushed it and oiled it. During time of disuse it would rust again on the face but once I used it for a day or two it would once again disappear. I see no major rust issues with your anvil. Just give a good work out. If you want to go to the trouble of sandblasting and painting I guess it is your nickle.;)

Glen
I was not comparing rust to a vise, a dog or a hold fast. I was quoting a very experienced/accomplished blacksmith who prefers a non-polished anvil face to a "slippery", polished anvil face. I believe he has a very good point and that's why I included it in the discussion. If you can't understand how a more course surface would help grip something better than a slick, smooth surface then do experiments by rubbing your fingers across sandpaper and then a polished "anything". You should be able to conclude that a more course surface resist the "sliding" action much better.
I was not suggesting that blacksmiths start trying to make their anvil's rusty. I was suggesting that the person with the question try the anivil after removing the thick oxidation and before polishing. This way he could decide if he liked that surface enough to save him some time a trouble getting it ready to use.
No where in my reply did I compare a rusty anvil face to a vise, hold fast or a dog. Nor did I suggest ever adding rust to an anvil face.
Please don't use your assumptions to place words in my mouth.

I watched a Josh Greenwood demo one time and said that the rust actually helps hold the work still as you hit it. He said that he never removes light rust for that reason. So I would, as someone else wrote, brush off the thick, heavy stuff and try out the anvil before polishing to a nice clean finish.

Markh, you are correct in that any more rough surface will create more friction and hold better than any less rough surface. I am not questioning "a very experienced/accomplished blacksmith who prefers a non-polished anvil face to a "slippery", polished anvil face". My comment is that an anvil being used by a blacksmith working on a regular basis has little or no rust on the face of the anvil (at least the ones I have seen). If rust would assist the blacksmith in holding the metal to the anvil face, there should be a product to produce a light rust finish for this purpose. This would have to be applied several times a day as it would (I suspect) wear off as quickly as the original light rust finish.

The original question

I have about a 200 lb anvil. It has about 3yrs of rust / exposed to the outside. Its not too bad. Clean sides and horn. How do I clean it up.
My suggestion would be to wire brush the anvil face and put it directly into use. After a short time of forging, the remaining rust from any divots in the anvil face should be gone. At the end of forging session you will have a better idea of how the anvil works for you. You can then choose whether or not to de-rust the rest of the anvil. My suggestion would be to use a wire brush by hand as not to destroy any remaining patina, and apply something to protect metal.

To go against what everybody else has said..... Here in Sichuan it is very wet and humid. Sometimes I have to leave my anvil unused for several weeks if I am away in Europe. I grease the face which protects it nicely but if I were going to be leaving it for a very long time I would paint the face and then just clean it up again when needed.

The best way to keep an anvil in good condition is just to use it.

In answer to the question what you should do with that anvil the reply is quite easy. You should stick some postage on it and mail it to me here in Sichuan.