I Forge Iron

Superior

JoJoe

Welcome aboard JoJoe, glad to have you. If you pout your general location in the header you might be surprised how many members live within visiting distance. 

What we know about your anvil is what you've shown us. I'm not going to go to the hassle of saving a copy to zoom in on to save you from taking a few more pics. As Glenn says, dust with a contrasting color powder, flour, chalk, etc. and wipe to make stamped characters and surface detail stand out more clearly. Low aspect lighting shallow angle from the side is a better way to light photos of metal work in general and especially when surface detail is what you want to show.

A pic of each side and one of the top from a little angle. The side shots need to show the edges of the face so we can judge their condition. The face should have the hardy hole clearly visible. Lastly a shot of the base, a lot can be judged by details of the foot.

Just in general, a cast Swedish steel anvil is a top shelf anvil provided it hasn't been through a fire and lost the heat treatment, softened. From what little I can see and barring hidden damage I wouldn't snapped that up at that price and let Deb scream at me, maybe even done chores for her.

Just bear in mind it could easily be a counterfeit anvil, anybody can stamp "made in Sweden" on an anvil, doesn't make it so.

Frosty The Lucky.

Selling price is largely location dependent, no telling not knowing where you are. I'd do the bearing ball test to make sure it hadn't been through a fire and lost it's heat treatment. Passing that I would've snapped it up immediately for what you paid and Let Deb beat me up for it. 

The rebound test is simple and easy. Forget the people who recommend a 1" bearing ball, bigger isn't better. I use 1/2" bearing balls I can carry a couple in my pocket all the tie without noticing. Anyway, drop the ball on the anvil and estimate how far it bounces back as a %. Using a ruler is good if you aren't used to estimating this kid of thing, drop it from the 10" mark and read the rebound in inches. 9" bounce = 90% Easy Peasy. Hmmmm?

That beautiful old lady has generations of work in her yet, your grand kids will tell their kids about their blacksmith grand Dad while they learn to forge on her. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Unless that beautiful old lady has been through a fire you aren't likely to ever strike finer JoJoe. I have a 125 lb. Soderfors and she out performs my 207 Trenton as far as moving metal. 

Chris, if you EVER get a chance to buy a Soderfors even if you can't really afford it. GRAB IT! Make up to the Wife later, you won't regret it. Once you've used it you aren't going to be satisfied on lesser. Heck ANY cast Swedish steel anvil defines top shelf anvil but a Soderfors. . . <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.