I Forge Iron

Mask buying suggestions.

I'd recommend a 3m 6000 series mask with p100 filters. 

Read up on them and get a proper size that fits you. Also learn about performing a fit test. Should be on the 3m site. 

If you have a big beard or are not shaved where the mask fits your face you will need to look into other options like a supplied air mask. 

Not knowing who is typing on the other end of the keyboard, it's hard to tell and we try to be thurough. I didn't know if you were 16 or 85.  :) Plus, others may find this thread in searching for the same info and they might be older, with a full beard, and not realize that wearing a regular respirator over it will minimize the protection of the mask. 

Also keep in mind that the filters regularly need changed out every so many hours of use or over time. You can prolong the filters life by putting it in a sealed ziplock bag between uses. 

Glad you asked and are thinking about this now at 16. You've got many years to go and protecting yourself now will keep you going healthier a long time. 

What Daswulf said. You've only got one set of lungs; protect them. Get in the habit of wearing your dust mask, safety goggles, and face shield EVERY SINGLE TIME you approach the grinder. 

In the 19th century, two thirds of the grinders in Sheffield, England died before the age of 30 from breathing silica dust and metal particles.

1 hour ago, Daswulf said:

Not knowing who is typing on the other end of the keyboard, it's hard to tell and we try to be thurough.

Sorry, it was not meant to be an insult. Thanks for the feed back.

Don't worry, he didn't take it as an insult, it wasn't. Das has good reading comprehension and this is the getting to know each other phase. You're learning how to ask good questions, we ALL had to learn and still do depending on the subject. Learning how to ask good questions and interpret the answers is a skill, it takes practice and we'll help.

Right now it's breathing PPE. I have a beard and masks are an issue. I rigged a filtered exhaust system for my grinder but it's iffy so I haven't nor will I post pictures. It's pure 0.5 donkey lashup and only part of the layers I use. For the B A D stuff I have a 3M White Cap supplied air welding helmet. Yes, it's a helmet literally, even has temperature controls. With the proper suit it's even rated for biohazard environments. Search it out and check the price. I enjoyed a discount I'm not going into. 

We're with you on this, safety is important we all push it. And there's Das, we're typing at the same time. Happens all the time.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 1 year later...

Hi all.

i have the exact same question and I do have a beard so that info was handy thanks daswulf. 

I’ve been wearing a “Protector” brand dual filter mask - about $45ish from Bunnings but I need a better one - 

Are y’all able to recommend something suitable for a short beard for perhaps under $200? I’m mostly grinding steel and brass.

thanks so much 

Anything I've found that is beard friendly are the supplied air hood masks and they are pricy.  There are some full face respirators that may offer a bit more protection Including eye protection obviously but they still might not seal or have the room to fit the beard if tucking it in. 

It's better to wear one than not so atleast do what you can in making a tight fit and get some protection. 

Positive pressure masks! 

I know several pro knifemakers who made their own using a hard hat with a built in face shield.  Put the fan outside the shop in a "clean air" location SCREEN IT!!!!! (Knew a maker whose unscreened intake sucked in and delivered a very annoyed wasp.) They ran PVC on the ceiling of the shop to above the grinder and had flexible vent hose from the ceiling to the hat.

Also, take a look at the Resp-O-Rator, which is an arrangement of a mouthpiece and some tubing that puts a pair of particulate filters behind your head without having to form a seal around your face. They don't take an industry standard filter, but here's a video from a guy modifying his to take regular P100 filters:

Some users also add a bottle underneath the exhaust valve to catch exhaled moisture.

2 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Positive pressure masks! 

I know several pro knifemakers who made their own using a hard hat with a built in face shield.  Put the fan outside the shop in a "clean air" location SCREEN IT!!!!! (Knew a maker whose unscreened intake sucked in and delivered a very annoyed wasp.) They ran PVC on the ceiling of the shop to above the grinder and had flexible vent hose from the ceiling to the hat.

Are there no faceshields with clean air in the USA? you could use the faceshield, headband and hose from that and just use the motor from a old extractor hood. I am building something like that in my shed