I Forge Iron

Descaling with vinegar?

kerryd

I finished my first damascus blade yesterday and noticed that I trashed more abrasives removing scale between restackings than I did grinding out the blade. I read a few posts that mentioned using vinegar to remove mill scales from pieces. Does this work on forge scale? I couldn't find anything specific. I'm not folding, I'm grinding and mig welding all my pieces so I can forge weld without flux.

When doing my damascus, I use an angle grinder to remove most of the scale before cutting and stacking, only using the belt grinder to smooth out the pieces.  I also do most of mine without flux. 

I use vinegar after my final forging of my damascus before grinding.  It usually takes a day or so, however.

Like templehound and Steve said, watering the anvil helps and staying on top of the scale with the wire brush as you forge helps a lot.  

Water the press dies or maybe use a spray bottle and spritz the billet before pressing? A common practice you see in the big forging press and hammer videos is a person spraying the dies and stock before they cycles. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Spraying the press plates cooled them off too much. Wood splitter presses are slow. Given my level of experience that may be a good thing. However, plenishing with water at the end of a thinning cycle worked great! My thanks to everyone that put their two cents in. There IS a learning curve.