I Forge Iron

How to Forge a Split Basket Twist Handle Video #2

Mudman.    The idea with any of the baskets is they look tricky..   The only tricky thing about this one is getting the disk centered so it looks even when the handle is still or if turned..  All the rest is very easy.. 

Even the forge welds from a welding skills aspect are pretty easy..

The lap weld is the only tough one newer smiths will have when the handle and shaft get placed together and this is just a simple drop weld.. 

The spacer is very easy to do  and as long as the heat is brought up slowly so everything the (disk and 1 rod) then it is retained and held in place for the weld vs having to position it which for everyone is the largest difficulty for a weld. 

Once this 1 rod and disk is welded you can move the disk some to where it belongs and then weld the opposite side from the first weld.. Then everything is held and easy to do.  :)

All of the videos work with information or skill set from a previous video..  

They may seem random but they are not..     They always run from easier to more difficult with building blocks..    

Many get confused and think we are making an object or item..  ( making a bolt, or tongs, or a handle)..     Truth is we are making a skill set applicable every where..  ;) 

Thanks 1forgeur

You'll get there a lot faster than you think, basket twists aren't as tricky as they look. If Jennifer wasn't so darned picky her videos would be about 15 minutes long. Of course her handles reflect the excellence in her brand of finicky. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

Mudman,  Some one on one shop time and you'd be making this in about 1hr..  It's amazing what quality forge time with a good instructor can get you.. 

As Frosty mentioned it's not difficult..  The finial took longer to get to where I wanted it than it did to do the basket part.. 

Frosty.. I keep those long drawn out video parts in just for the smiths like yourself..  They can yell at the TV, computer screen or in their own minds to hurry up and hit it all ready.. LOL..   It's the anarchist in me.. :) 

Nice and welcome for sure.. . Maybe both you and Lou..   do knives or some other area of interest.. 

it was cold that day for sure.. Cold snowed out the day or so before visit I think it was like 18F  in the trailer.. 

you were a great sport about it John..   True Grit.. :)  I know my teeth were chattering a little bit by the time we were done.. 

True that..  Heat wave just in time to head out..  If that kind of winter visit happens again.. We will pick something big to work on..  I did have an we could have completed which would have helped with the warmth but then the chain lesson would have been out. 

Next visit shop should be up.. :)