I Forge Iron

Finding large 4140 stock

Hello all! 

I am in the process of acquiring a new 250# Murray hammer. I'm really excited, except for the fact that it needs new dies.

I was quoted about $1600 from LG to have some dies made for it, but I am unsure if I can afford that right now. I'm looking into potentially making my own as I am pretty confident I can machine my own set. I have a great local source for heat treat.

My only issue is finding stock large enough that is not extremely expensive. I am located near Atlanta, and I have received a few quotes for 4"x5"x16" 4140 bar, but all have been just over $700. Do you know of any creative places where I can find large stock suitable to make power hammer dies? I am slightly nervous to use a scrapyard, as I do want to have some sort of idea what material I am working with for safety reasons. 

Or, should I just suck it up and by the dies from LG? 

The dimensions I need are 4"x5"x8" per die. 

PS: If anyone has stock this large and is within 400-ish miles of ATL, I would love to buy it from you and bring you a beer or something. I love meeting other blacksmiths! :D 

• 2 weeks later...

You could look on online flea markets or ebay or such. I found exactly what you were looking for but in Finland. A local reclaimed steel and steel trader is retiring and selling his stock. Even if he hadn't been retiring he would still have a bunch of it. Maybe there's someone local. You could ask local construction steel suppliers for info on such traders.

I buy 4140 drops from a local equipment repair and machine shop for scrap price. IF they want to take the time to weigh it, they usually just say $10 or $20 and I'm set for a few years. 

I believe Atlanta has oil tool companies and machine shops, they're a good place to find large drops in the scrap bin. Last time I shopped an oil tool company's scrap bin I staggered away with a 4140 drop, 5" thick slice off a 9" dia. round bar.

Of course it really helps that I'm a likable talker. :) If you aren't, take donuts and be nice to the receptionist!! Make her a nice card holder or piece of table / desk art as a think you. You'll be in like Flin.

Frosty The Lucky.