I Forge Iron

I'm new to smithing and was advised my first tool I make should be a chisel so I can cut hot steel. Makes sense.  I was thinking about grinding a butcher profile on the foot of my vertical rr track I'm using for an anvil. I wanted to get other opinions on the idea. Thanks in advance to anyone who has the time to respond. Your insight is appreciated.

A couple of things you may want to consider. As you are new to smithing, how often are you going to use the butcher modification? Can it become a pinch point for present or future blacksmithing work?

A chisel can be used anywhere.

A portable hole may be the answer. You can then make what ever tool you want to fit the portable hole, such as a hot cut for cutting hot metal, different size and shape fullers, etc. When you upgrade from the rr track anvil to something else, the portable hole still works. If you size the portable hole correctly the tools might fit the new anvil.

I'm not sure how often I'd use it but the only other way I have to cut stock is an angle grinder. I don't know if it would make a pinch point or not. I was planning on grinding it into the foot at the very end nearest the edge. 

The foot is already even with the rail.  I would just be profiling about 3 inches.

Good points though. Perhaps I'll wait until I've worked on it a while longer before I start modifying it. Thanks.

You cutting cold metal or hot metal?

For hot metal just tilt the stock 45 degrees and use the edge of the rr track to put a crease in the stock, flip it over and crease from the other side. Bend to brake into two pieces.

If cold, then put a crease or cut through the stock with an angle grinder, hack saw, chisel, then bend.

I'm sure I'll have the opportunity to cut both at some point. I think the good idea fairy paid me a visit. I got a little anxious wanting to do something. I'm gonna make a chisel I'd get more use out of it anyways. And youre right about the hole. I seen a pic in this topic of exactly what you are talking about.  That's a much better way to go. I just have to cut some new bits for me drill first. Thanx for slowing me down.

That should read get some new bits 

Or there is always the junky old axe or splitting maul heads found at fleamarkets junk stores or the like. They can be mounted in a stump or vise for an expedient hot cut. Best to make it removable and don't use a Good axe or splitting maul that you plan to use for the " intended" purpose.  

Punches and chisels are good first tools to make. There are other threads here on beginner projects so I won't drift off into all that. 

Making a chisel is the route I'm gonna take. I haven't built a proper forge yet, just a hole in the ground.  I have to rein in my enthusiasm a little. One thing at a time I suppose. im just bored. The weather is bad and work has been slow. Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna practice the big 8 for a while before trying to make anything.

I'm getting ahead of myself. There's plenty of time to modify my rail. I need to take care of some fundamentals first like building a stand for a jabod and mounting the rail better.  Thanks for your help I appreciate it.the same people respond to the majority of the new peoples posts. Thank you for taking the time to help.that goes for everyone that responded. 

1 hour ago, pnut said:

I haven't built a proper forge yet.just a hole in the ground.

The hole in the ground IS a proper forge.  JABOD ( or any other forge) is nothing more than a hole in the ground raised to a convenient working height.

The hot chisel is a piece of metal with a flattened and sharpened end. If the mild steel deforms with use, then reshape and quench the working end the next time.

A higher quality chisel can be made from coil spring or leaf spring from a vehicle. When tempered it can be used on cold steel. 

Practice making  chisels, punches, drifts, etc is a good learning experience. You get to use something you made. Then go back to the forge and make another one with a different working end. You improve with each one you make. 

Don't get overwhelmed by all the advice pnut, while our intentions are good we tend to get carried away. Don't think any single person's advice is THE way to do things. Ways to do things blacksmitherly is a lot like opinions, everybody has them and most are different.

If you have a hack saw you don't need another way to cut stock but chisels are good practice. Both forging and heat treating. It's not critical heat treating to make a hot cut chisel and a little more for a cold chisel. 

A hot chisel is usually how I introduce a student to heat treating and tool steel. The shape of the chisel makes it easy to forge and heat treat, there is plenty of steel behind the edge to slow how the temper colors run. Slow and easy is good when you're learning. 

Frosty The Lucky.