I Forge Iron

My mini hammer

Thought some of you might find this interesting,  I was tired of my shoulder hurting so I whipped up a little power hammer. Not sure how to upload videos so I'm putting a link to the video I posted on my Instagram Link removed

20190108_214609.jpg

Thanks, Ive barely gotten a chance to use it yet.  Maybe about 10 minutes tops but so far i love it.  It hits harder and faster then i can.  I have a few changes to make but it's pretty impressive for being powered by a drill

I don't want to sign up to Instagram so I can't watch the videos. I like your build, you have most of the reciprocating weight on the right side of the pivot. How long will it run per charge?

It's the first cordless power hammer I've seen. SWEET!

Frosty The Lucky.

36 minutes ago, Frosty said:

I don't want to sign up to Instagram so I can't watch the videos.

Thanks frosty.My profile on Instagram is public so you should be about to check it out. I've barely had a chance to play with it yet so i can't give you a very accurate answer as far as run time but the 10-15 minutes i used it the gauge on my battery didn't move. 

Must've been me last time everything's working now. That little beast does hit hard. I'm sure looking forward to you beating some hot steel with it. 

The only issue I see is the angle of the hammer face to the anvil when forging. I don't think it'll be much on say 1/2" or thinner but it might want to forge flat circles anyway.

Good question Thomas, is the crank close enough to turn over it won't cam lock and stall out? 

I was wondering about the lack of give myself but I'm not the only guy eyeballing your machine.

Frosty The Lucky.

On 1/10/2019 at 2:48 PM, ThomasPowers said:

Where is the flex point that allows it to work on different thicknesses of steel?  From what I see it can stall if a too big of a section is inserted? Can't access videos from work if you have it on there.      It's in the arm. Hard to see

20190108_214801.jpg

On 1/10/2019 at 2:52 PM, Frosty said:

Must've been me last time everything's working now. That little beast does hit hard. I'm sure looking forward to you beating some hot steel with it. 

See above post haha, it's got quite a bit of flex If needed

9 hours ago, L-M&F said:

Thought some of you might find this interesting,  I was tired of my shoulder hurting so I whipped up a little power hammer. 

Well done LMF, that is very ingenious. Reminds me somehow to Tom and Jerry's mouse trap ... :P

You should send it to DeWalt and offer to post on YouTube for a fee :)

7 hours ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

My wife said ohhh I like that, which translates to make me one.:) Love the throttle cable control.

Haha well it's always nice to have the boss on board,  thanks.  I originally built the drill control to run my rotary table as a weld positioner.

7 hours ago, Marc1 said:

Well done LMF, that is very ingenious. Reminds me somehow to Tom and Jerry's mouse trap ... :P  You should send it to DeWalt and offer to post on YouTube for a fee :)

Haha yeah thatd be cool,  everyone tells me i need to put it on youtube

Well I bought my first LG for US$75 but it was in much poorer condition; I traded it for an anvil I still use frequently---much easier to haul around during my wandering years. (Shawnee Oklahoma around 1981-1982)

The $15 one was a fellow who's career was restoring large machinery after fires.  He restored the LG as a hobby in his retirement and then decided to move to New Zealand where he had some property he had bought in WWII; with all the fuss in bother of international moving he didn't get it sold off and offered it to a friend if he would take him out to lunch....I would have bought him Lunch and Dinner for it!

Thomas - That's a heck of a friend! I would of been happy to pay for a few meals also! Heck 75 is a deal! I bet you had alot of good memories wandering back in the 80s! I was just a twinkle in my parents eyes as they say haha.  I've been keeping an eye out for a hammer for a while now but i don't think they're very common here in the central us. Or im not friends with the right people! 

Updated my bottom die last night.  I figured an old sledge hammer would be my best option for material at the moment.  Also made them interchangeable. Also shined up an old 6lb sledge for the top die.  Works way better then the 3lb obviously,  and the drill doesn't seem to have any problems swinging it.  Hopefully have a cool video of it making money later today. 

20190112_223631.jpg

20190112_202716.jpg

Hundreds out your way in all the little town shops repointing plow shares; start visiting old cafes and Mom and Pop hardware stores and the CoOp and putting up posters asking!  I've found a couple just driving though small towns in Oklahoma and stopping where I saw what used to be the smithing and knocking on doors to see who owned it.  Often very good deals from "abandoned in place" stuff folks never thought would bring them in a dime.