I Forge Iron

DIY swage block

Ted Ewert

I just started but for next time what if after you placed rebar and before you cement take like a baking rack made from stainless steel or cooling rack then cut to your swage form and place in between your rebar for more reinforcement could help prevent smaller cracks.

Wish I would have taken my grandfather's didnt know what they were at the time of his passing. Hopefully some blacksmith got and has put to wonderful use. Funny he worked with metal his whole life but when at home only wood love yeah miss yeah Bop. 

• 6 months later...

To keep it from dancing and firm it up under the hammer,how about sand in a steel box ?  Might even weld a hardy on bottom of box.  Alasticity and strength of concrete can be improved by subsututing junk latex paint for some of water. Fibers instead of or in addition to rebar might be a good measure.  

This is a medium / light duty swage block which is anchored in the hardie hole so it doesn't dance around much. The concrete is merely a filler and stiffener and bears no real shock loading. I welded in some rebar internally to provide support for each swage.  

I've used this block quite a bit and it accomplishes what it was meant to do. I've been keeping my eye out for some material to make a dish swage. 

I did poorly by not completing the name Thomas.  Call it lazyness.   Ted, sand box came to mind because I couldn't see how a "stem" could be attached as tool was shown in picture to have working faces on both sides.  How did you anchor the block in anvil hardy hole without losing one or more swages?  I like your idea but as I said above,I'm lazy and want you to work the kinks out before I try duplicating it.  Lazyness also make's me want to use light hammer and few licks as possible and wondering if sand might help.  Having swage in hardy hole is undouptedly preferable to a box of sand but I'm having trouble with how.