I Forge Iron

making a flatter

I use hardwood handle or spruce or hemlock..  Ideally I never make a handle like a hammer handle with a shoulder, wedged in.. 

I just shape the end to fit the eye and drive it home..   It snaps I just do it again.. 

The eye is plenty thick to handle as much abuse as you can throw at it..  

Tool  abuse, well is tool abuse..  A flatter or a set hammer or any eyed blacksmithing tool if designed and forged properly will serve it's intended purpose if used properly.. 

Anybody can destroy a hammer eye if abused..    

Axes were never designed to be hit on the backside as a wedge or cutting device so is the reason they fail so badly this way..  A splitting maul on the other hand can be hit on the backside with little damage other than the typical spreading of the struck end.. 

this is Maple..  Just a branch I grabbed out of the burn pile.. 

20190126_103905.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Great Video. No Rush, lots of little things explained.

I have started drilling 2, 1/8" holes on the outboard end of the handle. Bend a piece of coat hanger in a "U", push it through and bend the tails over. Now you don't have to wonder where the head is in relation to your Stick. The head will still rattle, but it won't/can't fall off, unless you want it to.

Just a little something, no intention of being rude.

Neil

Wicon.. You got that? I partially understood it, But with only a partial it equals 0

if one is looking to attach a handle there is also the Farrier method of using 2 bicycle tubes.. You shape the eye and he handle so there is a slight gap between the 2.. You slide on piece of inner tube on..(road bike) and then fit a longer section and drop the tools eye over the sencond peice.. 

Next you pull the inner tube while pushing the head downwards.. When you release the inner tube it will pull the head on further and also act as a cushion of sorts.. You then just cut the rest off.. 

This works very well and saves the handles from getting vibration cracks.. 

Nope that is perfect..  Thanks..  Nice sketch too.. :)   

years back I had seen where they took metal rods on the inside of the hammer head and these were fed through the handle below the eye and then brought back up through slots and wrapped around the head..   This is what I had thought you were taking about.. Glad you clarified.. 

Thats great..  There are a bunch of them.. Well the videos that is..   

it's funny but that 1 bar of 1" Hot rolled has been used for each of the last 3 or 4 videos and was also used for some drifts inbetween videos.. 

Check out the hardie, set hammer videos as well..   The hardie was the larger upset piece which then the flatter, and set hammer in that order.. 

I spent some time over the last day or 2 unlisting all the 3D/VR videos as many people just get confused as they don't have a clue what 3D or VR (virtual reality) is so will send me messages asking what is up.. 

anyhow all the 3D videos are unlisted now.. so if you are into 3D or VR  (headsets, 3D tvs, computers..)  you will have to search for them.. 

If you are a 2D person when it will now be super easy as they are listed by date only of upload so easy to find.. 

1" sq is about the largest size stock I think most beginners can work with without getting overwhelmed.. I know that for myself starting out 5/8" sq, then 3/4" and then 1"sq seemed to be how each became workable as I got older and as my skills increased.. 

ADHD-forge - I feel badly all this information ended up on ADHD's thread vs the Flatter build thread.. Sorry about that.. 

Good Morning,

•  

May be this rough sketch helps

That is exactly correct Wicon, You can twist the tails together like in your sketch or you can bend the tails around the outside. Either way leaves the head loose on the Handle. I generally make my Handles from old Pallets. Some Pallets have wonderful semi-hardwood for the beams underneath.

Neil

i don't mind :)

On 2/4/2019 at 2:17 AM, jlpservicesinc said:

Hi, here is the handled flatter from the video..  I never get any fancier than this.. 

the blacksmith from who'm i took a class told me that he liked a good branch over a store bought handle for top tools and small axes. at first i found it odd to say such a thing, butt now i totally agree. i made a small axe last year and searched for a nice fitting branche as a handle and it works perfect and it rest perfectly in my hand :)