I Forge Iron

making a flatter

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks..  Means a lot coming from you.. :)   Made a few rookie mistakes but the last 1 I made was a very long time ago..   Was fun.. 

Took about 1hr 45min with fiddling looking for punchs, cameras, and  such..  I moved everything out of the trailer on the last long pull demo to lighten up the rig.. Stuff is still sitting in pails and boxes so just used what I had on hand..  

Time to move stuff back into the trailer.. :) 

I bought and paid for a piece of property early fall. No brag, just pure elation. Just proves my shop motto. "God smiles on fools and blacksmiths,, and I do fit that bill! Got everything in one place, and all the excavation/ dirt work for my "temporary" shop is done. Metal building ready to go up. I need some  on rete work, so anxiously awaiting spring. 

Yesterday I  dug my portable setup out of the snow and will put it in the existing carport.

First fire soon. 

Congratulations!  Always a great feeling to see your name on a piece of property!  I've got an acre with house and shop in NM and 13 acres with scrub woodland, (probably was pasture in the 1960's) in Arkansas.  As a former Boss once told me---"The biggest raise you will ever see is the day you pay off your mortgage!"

It's rather rediculous as each year there are 100 to 150 new homes built just in Rutland, MA alone and the houses are in the 300K -400K mark.. Yet the taxes go up every year.. 

Yeah, I've heard the story of schools being expensive..  They haven't hired any new teachers nor built any new schools.. 

I think someone is making off with a custom bank account..   Really the whole town is miss managed and the days of getting Federal money when a town is in the Red is over.. Somehow The powers at be in Rutland, Still think the Feds will give them money..    It's crazy.. 

Well as mentioned: most schools seem to be adding admin and shafting teachers and admin aint cheap! I remember large schools with a Principal, Vice Principle, secretary, counselor, school nurse and Librarian. Teacher to student ratio was low and teacher to admin ratio was high.

I've given up trying to deal with "stupid"..    I have enough of my own stupidity on my plate  than to keep banging my head against the grindstone  with just how simple it is to keep things productive..     One must work to be productive..  if a corp keeps cutting back on boots on the ground to higher another admin or manager its backwards thinking..    The whole Lean production mentality.. .. 

All one has to do is have that right thought at the right moment..  What's so hard about that..  :) 

I'm involved with SME and a few other world wide Engineering and manufacturing organizations  and every single business, corp and even the smaller companies are switching to robotics..  Or will be..  

they now have self learning robotics, that all one needs to do is move the robot in the action you want by hand and it's programmed.. 

Its funny when I read time and time again when it states:  There will always be human workers to load and unload the machines and to trouble shoot when the robots are malfunctioning.. 

Manual mills, card readers, tape, CNC..   

Some day I'll program or make a robotic arm so I can stand there in front of the anvil and just think of the arm moving and it will..  :) 

22 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Congratulations!  Always a great feeling to see your name on a piece of property!

Thanks and a big "Boy Howdy" to that.

I owned my last place for over 30 years. 

To keep it an adventure, let's say someone followed Colorado traditions and jumped my claim. I hit the road for my sorta second journeymanship,, roady blacksmith is perhaps a better description, in '08, and am now back on my own ground. Trust that there is a lot of water under that bridge.

18 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Anvil, Same place or different property

Jennifer, this is a different place. And about 4 miles down the road. Alas, only a few of those ancient cedars, but its 20 acres, pond, adjudicated spring, mineral rights, a  very cool cabin, a 30' pull behind RV, another ~14' x14' cabin by the pond, storage shed, a carport and views to die for. All amenities.  I bought a 10 KW solar system. Complete but no batteries. I'm debating on setting this up on the shop, or on the house. Choices, choices

This was totally unexpected and a stunning turnaround in my lifes journey. Im still living in a daze. 

5 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Some day I'll program or make a robotic arm so I can stand there in front of the anvil and just think of the arm moving and it will..  :) 

There's a place out here in Ohio that sells industrial surplus, and they've got quite a supply of used robots. I can't post the link because of the TOS, but if you google "hgrinc.com" and "robots", it'll get you there. Let's make this happen!

anvil -  I am so excited for you..   Wow, though all that work you put into the other place..    I love you attitude that it's just time to move on...   I am so happy for you.. I could just bust with happiness and anticipation of the new place.. This is going to sound funny, but i"m asking because it was 13F this morning at the first job.. Is it more temperate???? Than the other place.. I know the summer heat can be tough..  Though it's only few miles down the road..  Mountains vs flat land maybe.. 

JHCC..  I was purely being sarcastic..  I love swinging the hammer...  I've never been a go to the gym kind of person because I'm not a lift weights for no reason kind of thing.. (body centric).. But swinging a hammer and seeing the metal move.. Well that's a different beast as it's like music with fine tones, inflection, and body.. 

Thomas, LOL..   Ah, I got lucky once.. I was working with a new person (young guy 16-18, never see smithing up close, but was interested and offered to help..     That scenario almost played out to it's entirety and not on film.. 

I said that exact thing and the guy (kid looked befuddled) and then said to me..    "Isn't that going to hurt some"... With the follow up immediately before I could correct him... " Well that doesn't sound like much fun but I'm here to learn,. How hard you want me to hit it".. End quote..   LOL..   I nearly poo'd my pants though I was also feeling like a hornet whos nest just got poked.. 

Working with the "young" is always an adventure!  I had a friend who was the smith at a historic site and that had a "hands on kids day". Well as the smith he was a bit perplexed and finally decided to have kids hammer out brass sheet for ladle bowls cold---pretty easy down to the upper single digits. One father was incensed that his 4 year old was not allowed to participate and made a stink and my friend finally allowed that he could hammer if his father was directly coaching him and the smith would hold the blank. So they get set up and the kid takes the ballpeen with a domed face two handed and swings it sharply up over his head---hitting his father smartly right between the eyes.  After he recovered a bit the father decided that perhaps his son was a bit too young...

• 4 weeks later...

This is my progres so far, i've haven't had a lot of time lately. And its posing more of a challenge than i anticipated. Lets say the learning curve is much steeper than i expected. But then again its no surprise when your trying to run before i can walk.:)

IMG_20190203_191257_136.jpg

IMG_20190203_154348.jpg

IMG_20190203_154342.jpg

IMG_20190203_154333.jpg

I even made a video of my atempt to upset the bar

Well its going to take more abuse then an axe would given the eyelids(sides of the eye lol?) Are going to get flexed being sandwhiched between the anvil and the hammer, iv had to rehandle mine twice. Never quite figured out the answer to that problem mine rattles like crazy.

Looks pretty good for you first go of it..

Turn it 90 each up and down, But also at a 75 to the anvil..  This will pull out the sides creating the lip in a larger fashion.. 

Did you do the vise to pull out the face also one side then the other.. 

I thought I had pointed this out in the video but more than likely I forgot about it.  Anyhow you can see at this point where I am leaning the bar in the upset while tilting it at the 70 degree angle or so.. 

Fast forward to about 4minutes and you will see I start tilting the bar..   Sorry about that.. 

https://youtu.be/kLUCvkpLKlc

Since you started with rectangular bar it means having to upset the long sides  and pull them back in forming the square cross section.. ..   Really  Nice job.. Love the forge setup.. 

I watched the video but responded before watching..  Nicely done..