I Forge Iron

Making a dumpster

So the plastic dumpster my parents have is pretty well falling apart and animals are getting into it. I want to try and find some steel sheet/plate to make one for them. I was wondering how thick it should be, I was thinking at least 1/4 inch but would anything thinner work you think? Was also thinking if I can't get thick enough steel due to price to make a wooden frame and just use thin sheet for the outside.

Not enough information for a good answer--such as size, use, and whether your commercial hauler will need to pick it up with their standard forks or not (around this rural farm area, some people haul their own garbage so fab what works for their truck and tractor forks.)  

Anyway...typically 14 gauge with an X stiffener bent in on the brake is what the middle sized (2 yard give or take) dumpsters here are built from...lighter ones use 16 gauge with similar X stiffeners...plus edge hems etc. so that they can be fairly strong and lightweight.  There is a LOT of variation though.

I've never seen quarter inch plate except for the super heavy ones for things like scrap metal hauling.

Greetings P3ssure,

As others have stated you must consider weight , rust, and cost. A container even made from 11g or 1/8 would be heavy . You can do the calculations by finding the steel weight per foot on the internet. My suggestion if you want steel is to visit your local farm store and look for a suitable container. You will find most have ribs for strength and are galvanized plated to prevent rusting. You will find cost is a big factor if you calculate the steel cost because you must buy full sheets from most suppliers. Just this ol boys suggestions. 

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

I bought an old dumpster from a garbage collection firm. I made cut outs on the backside for access doors and welded in angle for a 10 inch shelf/floor at the top. I use this as my Tool Box on my Pick-Up. A 5 ton truck with a Hiab. Yes, I carry more than 5 Ton on it's back. If I can't pick it up, I shouldn't have it. That is where the Forklift come in. Nobody gets hurt!!

The dumpster is about 1/8" thick, maybe less. I don't know the gauge.

Neil

I'm in a rural area and some people just use old freezers as dumpsters. Doesn't need to be anything that they need to move. Size doesn't matter either other than it has to be big enough. I'd say our current one is just like a 4x4x4 one so something that size would do. Just needs to hold trash and have a lid. I looked up how much 1/4 inch plate would be and that'd be expensive unless I can find some at the scrap yard. We currently have a plastic dumpster my dad got from Lowes or something. I had to just ratchet straps to hold the front doors tight cause it's been torn up from the wind and animals. It's doing fine now and nothings getting in it so it's fine for now but I'd like to make them a better one.

So basically 1/4 inch for trash is overkill then. I'll see what I can find at the scrap yard and then go from them with the money I can get. I'll talk to my dad about it when he comes in Saturday, he's coming in for the weekend and leaving Monday back for work unfortunately. He told my mom he is trying to borrow his boss' truck though to bring in what he got me for Christmas cause it's to heavy or big to carry in the little ranger he has. So I'm excited to see what he got me. I'm thinking the anvil he said his boss had, it looked to weigh a lot but not too much to haul in a ranger, so it's hard to tell.

Thanks for the info though, helps a lot.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2018 at 2:33 AM, Pr3ssure said:

I'm in a rural area and some people just use old freezers as dumpsters. 

Note that this is potentially illegal in some areas, if the door is left attached. 

Also ill advised. Due to the airtight nature of freezers and refrigerators, and the attractive opportunity  it presents for children to play in them, it is possible for a child to become trapped inside one and run out of air.