I Forge Iron

Portable Forge

ObjectZero

Sorry new to this site and I'm still learning my way around.

I'm looking to build a portable coal forge. and was looking for any tips and advice people might have for one? I've worked with a few other people portable forges for Demo's but they never really fit me. When doing a demo' I don't normally forge anything large, I try to stay smaller then 8" and no large stock (over 3/4" thick). I'm looking at using a hand crank blower, I've just not found on yet.

But if anyone has any tips on what has worked out well or had NOT worked out well, please let me know.

Thanks,

Try looking through the solid fuel forge section for some ideas, if you haven't already. 

All you really need are the basics. Side blast can be easier but a bottom blast isn't difficult either.  

My portable setup is a brake rotor bottom blast using 2" black pipe connections for the T. And a metal table I can break down. It all breaks down pretty easily to be transported. 

Not knowing what country you are in makes it a bit harder to make focused suggestions. We have over 100 countries participating here!

JABOD is a bit harder to move around.  I built a travel forge where the legs come off.  You might look at some of the military box forges where everything fit in a metal box.

The Mark III JABOD forge was built as a portable demo charcoal forge the legs fold, the brick lays flat in the forge and the fill goes in a cat litter bucket.  

Military pack forges relied on the operator using what ever soil he encounters as fill, but as primarily forges for horse shoes the fire is low in the box. 

Then we come to rivit forges, and they were intended to be relatively portable. 

So we know you want a hand cranked blower (I prefer bellows) this is good because they are compact. Do you have a preference as to bottom or side blast? A side blast can be fabricated from steel just as a bottom blast. What look are you going for? Lots of scrap comes to mind, but if you want somthing sleek or historic looking, you need different advice. 

A quick search gives us some ideas  

note some look like little more than the bottom 8” of an oil drum. 

• 5 months later...