I Forge Iron

Anvil with a crack!!!!

Hi all, new to the forum. Go easy
I have offered to purchase an anvil on ebay. On viewing the pictures on my pad in a larger format . I realise the plate has a crack, i am guessing 25_30 mm deep. Right across the plate. A is it repairable? Likely cost£
Is its only use as an ornament?
Is the top cast or decent steel?
It is going to cost me £200 to buy.
I can send an email link. Not sure if is allowed here, so may have to pm it
It is currently in someone’s garden
Regards

Can't see anything but the garden pic and that poorly.  Anyway traditional london pattern, face will most likely be one or more pieces of tool steel forge welded to the body. I'd guess multiple pieces with a weld failure at one join.  Does the crack go into the body of the anvil?  If so it's a MAJOR flaw and should cut the price substantially down.  As is damage to the face substantially drops the value.

If it's just in the face then it can be repaired with modern welding techniques by someone who is an expert welder following the Gunther Schuler anvil repair method. If you are not that expert it will cost quite a bit.

If the crack was not disclosed in the original sale info I would cancel the sale due to misrepresentation.

How much does it weigh?  Anvils are usually much cheaper in the UK than in the USA.

Welcome aboard Spiffing, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many members live within visiting distance. 

Glad I took a while typing I can delete most of it now. REALLY glad you turned "highlight" off!

Don't know which anvil in this ad you're referring to and don't be surprised when the link is removed. Commercial site links like Ebay or Craigslist aren't allowed on the site so it'll go away as soon as a moderator sees it. Don't sweat it, no big deal.

When you bargain with people, do NOT pay for old or rust unless it's REALLY old, say more than 250 years with provenance to prove it. Forget the cast iron anvil unless it's actually cast steel. You're buying shop equipment and tools NOT antiques nor art, just say so and be ready to walk away.

I'm with Thomas and 200 pounds for a 112 lb. anvil is outrageous, especially if it has a failed weld or cracked face. Cancel out of the sale for misrepresentation. Don't get in a hurry, smithing tools are a lot more common in the Uk than over here. Take your time and keep looking there's a LOT better value for your money if you're a little patient.

Red flag warnings in ads are "Vintage, Antique" they usually indicate rusty junk being sold by folk who don't know much if anything. Condition statements by sellers are always suspect and you can get into real trouble believing them. YOU don't know: good, okay or bad condition. Take pictures and ask us, we'll help you keep from being robbed.

Nobody is born knowing this stuff it takes time and we'll help you along the trail.

Frosty The Lucky.

52 minutes ago, Spiffing said:

Suffolk uk

We're blacksmiths, telling us in one post isn't going to stick in our memories once we open another. If you'll select your Avatar a menu will open select, "edit profile" scroll down till you find "location" enter a general location and save.

There are a lot of folk from Britain on the forum, having your location on every post makes the connection every time. 

Frosty The Lucky.

There are good anvil bargains to be had here but as others have said, you must be patient and you should do some reading up to increase your knowledge base to help you decide what is good and what is not. Gumtree is a much better source for your search than fleabay. You may have to travel to collect but so what? (unless you have no transport!) For example, I know of a 140lb English anvil that sold for £70 only a couple of years ago(of course I snatched it quicker than lightning!) They do come up but you must be prepared to wait and continually monitor the site. In the meantime you could, unless you have already, obtain a large lump of steel to use as an anvil and start practising! You must though, pay good attention as to what sort of metal to get and how to use it properly-and not follow any of the dross you may see on youtube. You have come to a community who have hundreds of extremely expert blacksmiths and similar so use this database and their knowledge and skills to help you do it right. If you don't already know, this site is a whole worlds worth of excellent metalworking(and other materials)knowledge-search and learn!! On the subject of the anvil you mention, there is nowhere near enough information or close up photos for anyone to say anything about it other than - avoid!

Some anvils had top plates that were two piece, that crack may just be the seam between them.

I keep seeing posts from guys in the UK buying anvils for far under 1 a pound, so the 200 for 112# surprised me. There is a guy over there ,Robin Sharples Waterfoot , that has hundreds of anvils that he buys and resells. He recently got the 1,300+ pound Wilkinson back home. So shop around for one that you really like and can comfortably afford.

I second the thought that UK has the lowest prices for anvils and that the asking price is way over average if it was in good nick. If it is cracked or damaged in any way. forget it. 

My personal opinion only.

Ask 'the iron dwarf' one long standing member here, that lives in the UK for a lead to an anvil merchant that buys and sells hundreds of the things.