I Forge Iron

Help with forge pricing please

MishlessFeat

Hello to all who don't have me on their ignore list.  A reasonably local forge, meaning within a decent drive that is doable, that is for sale has come to my attention and I wanted to ask for some help with pricing. The table is 30x30" and 27" high with a Centaur forge pot, a Champion #40 blower, the connecting pipe.  Asking price is $600.  All I have to compare it to is a new table set up from Centaur Forge, Blacksmith's Depot, or Pieh and JABOD.  Fair price?  What questions should I ask beyond "Is it working?" (which reportedly it is and reportedly has been well cared for.  Seller is well respected by everyone I have spoken to as well).  I'm not sure I see a clinker breaker handle or ash dump handle but have to defer to knowledgeable eyes.  Any thoughts and/or help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

image.png.24bdf20f92eacb602ee04bf49b97f37a.pngimage.png.8da085a2a7500340685e94f19becf762.pngimage.png.0e40b53b31d07c6ed65deae3f705aebc.pngimage.thumb.png.70c5e30ee99330b24d450564ba33ab27.png

image.thumb.png.a84276f1118709ced8aa681c8b2955f4.png

Clinker breaker is right in the tuyere. Looks like a functional unit if the blower works. Can't tell what the ash dump cover is but looks like it has one.

As far as price, Can't help you. Do your research on the individual parts. Table looks good. (personally, I'd notch the fencing all the way down on the passthrough)

You could ask the seller to demonstrate it's functionality......

Thanks for the replies so far.  I'm sorry I think I used the wrong terminology with regards to the clinker breaker.  The only ones that I have seen in person had a bar under the table to wiggle the breaker.  That bar is what I meant.  But as I look at the 3rd picture I think I see the back end of that bar at the junction of the pot and tuyere and the working end must just be sticking out the other side and not pictured.

it a truely looks like a centaur forge firepot.

you can see the shaft thru the clinker ball on the 3rd pic down.

if it is a centaur forge firepot, there will be a hole thru it and the shaft and ball are easily changed.  you may have to drill out the screw that holds them together and recap.

all in all, it looks worth it for the firepit and blower, assuming the blower works.

my bad, he did say it was a centaur forge firepot. I missed that.

as far as a grate vs a clinkerball and ash dump goes. .y first forge was built by me and had a grate.

As silly as it may seem, I have to say, having a clinker ball and ash dump was amongst the major and memorable changes in my smithing.

I consider it as important as the plumbers golden rule, stuff flows downhill.

and a clinker ball and ash dump make that possible in a forge setup.

you just can't maintain a good clean fire without it. And for me,  breaking down a fire to get all the clinker and fines is time consuming when a $10 clinker ball and fabbed ash dump will solve the problem. 

the last thing I want is ash and fines blowing up thru my good coke and landing  on my green coal.

Personally, adding this to a JBOD would make it near as good as you would ever need for a firepot setup.

and please note, I'm not talking  of pulling a large clinker out of the fire, I'm talking  of small bits of clinker, ash, and assorted fines. these are the main culprits in a dirty fire.