I Forge Iron

Just bought this anvil, Good Deal? Anyone know the maker?

I just bought this anvil today. Ive been procrastinating for years since I do a lot of metal work. I paid $550 for it along with the six hardy hole things. It weighs 145lbs and rings great. Not sure why it has two mouse holes though, and I cant tell who made it. Would love to know some more about it. I bought it in Philadelphia PA. I bought it today from a guy about 70 years old who said it was his grandfathers. Its been in his shop built in 1920 for as long as he knew. Thats all I know. Thanks for any help you can offer.

20181105_181353.jpg

20181105_181431.jpg

20181105_181545.jpg

20181105_181633.jpg

It is a Trenton anvil. The two "pritchel" holes were common on some ferrier anvils and that one looks to have part of the clip shelf. Trentons are one of the better brands in my opinion. If it has good ring and rebound you should be set. Looks to be in good using condition with nothing needed but to hammer hot steel on it. 

Welcome to IFI...

Your Trenton looks to be in good shape. Have you read about not doing any grinding, milling or welding on the hardened face? Another good read is this thread it will help you get the best out of the forum. https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/53873-read-this-first/

Great information. Yes, Ill use the swages, and especially the bending tool. Here is a pic of the corner of the foot I just wired off. The bottom I couldnt tell where something may be, and didnt want to get covered in rust dust at the moment cleaning the entire bottom. So did this have a full clip shelf originally? I looked up others once you guys said what it is. I see if this came with one originally, then something happened to it. If there is anything else I can add let me know. Thanks

20181105_204112.jpg

20181105_204238.jpg

33 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

The shape of the depression in the bottom gives a bit of information on it's age. (not one of the early ones)

The front of the foot may have the weight on one side and the serial number on the other.

I believe that is 150 right there very faded. My scale said 145, but its an old one. I couldnt see anything on the other side. I think it may have been red at one point. I will hit the other side a little harder with the wire wheel tomorrow.