I Forge Iron

Safely securing anvils

I morticed mine into the top of a block of green spruce and it's been perfectly secure for around 18 years now. Really quieted it down too.

Welcome aboard Thermalfun. You'll like it here, we have a HOT time regularly.

Frosty

Mines done similar but instead of actually mortising it into the stump, I have used some 1" plywood cut to the shape of the stump, cut in half then the anvils base shape cut out of the middle. I then sandwiched the anvil with the plywood and lag bolted the plywood to the stump. the anvil can be removed, but its sturdy doesn't slip off and still easy to move by rolling the stump around.

I made some real big staples and put it on the four corners of the anvil to hold it on my stump. Next time I am going to nail a piece of sheet steel to the top of my log. Then Iam going to bend some 1"x1/4" flat and weld it onto the sheet steel. That way I can remove my anvil to go to fairs and such.

The kidsmith,
Dave Custer

For my travel anvil I just set it on top of a scrap piece of 2x4 and traced the side curve at the base onto the wood and cut out the "D" and nailed it to the stump---1 per opposite sides. Anvil lifts out easily and with it a bit tight it helps kill the ring.

Putting a flat steel plate for the anvil to bounce around on is not a good idea noise wise...