I Forge Iron

School Guest Blacksmith Questions

At my school, a guest blacksmith artist will come into to the class to talk about making/selling his art. This is the first time I'll ever get to (in person) ask detailed questions to someone who's done this for a long time, and likely the only time for a while. I know I can ask many questions on this forum, but I was wondering if anyone had any area/blacksmith specific questions that I would want to ask him? Thanks!

Ask general, well thought out questions that would benefit the class. He is there for the class, not to be put on the spot or sidetracked.

Try to get him off to the side or get his contact information for a more detained and specific discussion.

Ask questions to which he knows the answers, such as how to jump start your blacksmithing, where to go to learn more about the craft, if there are groups or clubs in the area that you can attend the meetings, etc. 

Below are a few link to get you started. 

Frank Turley Blacksmithing school

Blacksmithing in Nevada

I'm 14 and looking to start blacksmithing

Nevada Blacksmith's Association 

Friends of the fort blacksmith classes

Don't try for specialized information. Keep it basic but as Glenn suggests think about it first and be ready to take notes Have a note book in hand. Do you know what you'd like to make? What tools he finds most useful and for what is a good subject. What he likes to make said tools from. Do you have a process that gives you more trouble than others?

These are what I mean by general but well thought out. If you get off on advanced subjects he's a lot less likely to be able to help you. Things are advanced because it takes a base of knowledge and skills to learn them. Yes?

I'm not saying you shouldn't ask about things that are more advanced than your current level, that's how we learn, aim high and work our butts off climbing that next curve. 

I wish you good sponging! By that I mean you should soak up everything you can like a sponge. 

Frosty The Lucky. 

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll take a notebook, ask them some broad questions, and if things are going well I'll ask if they are ok with me checking out their shop. Thanks Glenn for the links, I've got a class for Friends of the Fort already, and I've joined NV Blacksmiths.