I Forge Iron

Longhorn toast fork

Not really sure if this works. The idea was to create a toasting fork using the horns of a longhorn bull as prongs. He looks better looking straight down the open end, but it was a poor camera angle for focus. Probably would be better using heavier stock (this is 10mm square), but you don't want toast forks that are too heavy to hold. It may be better to make a barbecue fork and make the horns shorter.

Has anyone else tried something like this? Suggestions welcome!

bull toastfork.JPG

OK, so I tried JME's suggestion of having the head facing upwards. I've had this idea of making a toasting fork using the horns of an antelope, so I made the head a bit longer and skinnier and twisted the horns. And yes, unlike the bull's head, this one faces upwards. Not quite right yet, but getting better:

antelope 1.JPG

antelope 2.JPG

antelope 3.JPG

I'm liking this version. I agree that it needs a little something, maybe forge the horns to octagon before twisting for a little more subtle twist? One other observation, if the head is flat down on the shank, it might be hard to keep the fork clean between uses. I really love the shape and expression you capture in the steer heads.

I like it aus, it reminds me of when someone gets electrified in the movies and their hair stands on end. It still looks like a steer though. If your aiming for an antelope then I'd have the horns come off the top of the head and flare out before straitening to a pointimpala-ram-with-oxpecker.JPG.0e1b03c1494f8fc418db6ae4eb37cc23.JPG

And +1 to jme's suggestion of keeping the chin area off the shank for ease of cleaning

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I have done so many long horn bull heads , it was a bit hard to make the transition to antelope shape. As your pic shows, the nose is much more slender.  I did bend the horns a bit like that to start with, but it seemed to be out of balance. I hammered the chin down hard for the same reason. I will experiment with more configurations, but I definitely prefer the head looking back to the handle.  As with all these things - a learning process.