I Forge Iron

Where to start?

Desamainia

So I've always been into blacksmithing but never had the chance to get into it like I want to. I'm currently undergoing military training out of state but when I get home I want to start the craft. I've been entirely emmersed in videos and reading these forums lately, so I have a somewhat idea of where to start and what to get. I have a list of equipment and tools to get starting out (most of which I'm going to try and find but if I can't then I'm gonna have to order it new(some of the safety gear I will be getting new regardless)). I also plan on building my own forge, which I am currently drawing up and using a designing software for. Any other tips? I can post a list of all of the things I'm going to try and get--maybe that could help point me in the right direction too? I'm pumped to start.

Start by going to READ THIS FIRST

Find a fuel source near you that is plentiful and cheap. Build a forge to use that fuel. Forges section of the site will help in getting you started.

You will need an anvil so A collection of improvised anvils  is a good read.

The IForgeIron Table of Contents will help you to find a subject of interest to you so you can start reading.

We suggest you pack a lunch and a cold drink when you visit the site (grin)

Where to start? That is the million dollar question. And, I think, you've come to the best place on the web to ask it.

An anvil is good to have. Look up the TPAAAT on this site (Thomas Powers' Applied Anvil Acquisition Technique)  - and use the technique. Not just for anvils. Using TPAAAT, I found an 80lb Trenton for free.

Hammers. Also good to have. Drilling hammer is a good starter. Cross or straight peen. Rounding hammer.

Forge. Post your ideas and plans. There are a LOT of very knowledgeable people here who can help you tweak your plans so you end up with a good forge.

And the list can go on and on...

Welcome to the party.

I'll definitely have to check out the TPAAAT. And I'll have to add the rounding hammer and drilling hammer to my list of things to find. I should have my forge designed and done tonight so I can get that up then.

MOD NOTE: There is no need to quote the immediately preceding comment. Please read The Quote Feature.

Edited by Mod34
Excessive quoting

Where to start: THINK!

Answer the W questions:

WHAT do I want to forge?

WHERE can I forge?

WHY do I want to forge? (Note that this one may change as you get more experience. Someone who starts out doing ornamental pieces may find themselves captivated by bladesmithing, and vice-versa.)

WHO can help me learn how to forge? (You're already here, so that's a good first step. However, nothing beats in-person instruction.)

Then think about the four things you will need that start with H:

Something to HEAT the metal.

Something to HOLD the metal.

Something to HIT the metal ON.

Something to HIT the metal WITH. 

Everything flows from these questions, especially if you take the time to ask yourself: What do I not know or have NOW that I need to know in order to take the very next step? By focusing on what's right in front of you and the very next thing you need to do, you won't get ahead of yourself too much.

(Also, a much-neglected aspect of starting out is proper tongs. People focus on hammers, anvils, and forges, and never give nearly enough thought to what happens when you hit an insecurely held piece of glowing metal. If you have some cash, invest in some good basic tongs. You will NOT regret it.)

Share with us what you plan to do: Making gates will call for different tools and skillsets than bladesmithing for example.

e.g. is a 90# anvil a good one to use?  Making small items: YES!  Making large items: NO!  I suspect that many folks getting into smithing are wearing tinfoil hats as I have great difficulty trying to read their minds when they ask us for answers without providing enough info to provide a good answer...

I planned on starting with just making small items and little ornaments(I guess that's what I'd call them?) to hone in the basics of smithing then slowly start learning how to get into bladesmithing and some tools. But I would need to get more equipment for larger stuff, I'm aware. And as for the forge, I have the basic concept of what I want to build for it. It's all designed and everything. Just need to put some last details on it.