I Forge Iron

Identification of Champion Blower

RidgelineForge

Hello! I'm a 5-year blacksmith from East Tennessee, and to replace an old beat up blower that was given to me ages ago, I bought a new (to me) Champion forge blower on the morning of the 27th of October, along with a beautiful anvil and grinder and other tools. I have easily identified everything else to models, makers, and years, but this blower is still a mystery. I can't seem to find the information I need to identify the age and model of this blower, and I would like to know that information if at all possible. I have not been able to clean any of it up as of my posting this question, so please excuse the mess of it, though it is still in very good condition. But in short, my questions are these: might anyone be able to help identify the age and model of this blower?

0927182102_Film2.jpg

It's definitely not a 400, their gearbox is perpendicular to the fan. Hmm...I don't know anything of a 200, so I couldn't say. Do you have any references to one?

There are absolutely no stamps or raised lettering on the other side. That is all there is in lettering. The nearest thing I can find is a rivet forge blower, but this was obviously built to be on a stand, so it doesn't line up. It's quite a mystery to me!

This is the only picture I have at the moment, I'm afraid. (I'm travelling for the weekend and will have more pictures when I return home.) I removed the access hatch to inspecting the housing in this image. The crank is not their typical weighted handle style, which is why it led me more towards the rivet forge style. You can see from the first image that it sets entirely behind the air chamber, and as a whole, the blower is the size of a No. 40 model.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

0927182053_Film2.jpg

This is the only picture I have at the moment, I'm afraid. (I'm travelling for the weekend and will have more pictures when I return home.) I removed the access hatch to inspecting the housing in this image. The crank is not their typical weighted handle style, which is why it led me more towards the rivet forge style. You can see from the first image that it sets entirely behind the air chamber, and as a whole, the blower is the size of a No. 40 model.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

You raise a good point. While I cannot know for certain, if you search for other champion rivet forges, and even in their original catalogues, they are seen with these handles as well. I could be wrong, and would appreciate anyone to show me this, but as far as I can tell, this is the original handle.

Rivet forges have a way different sized blower. All the larger champion blowers I have seen use the counterweight handle. (Of course that is just a statistical sample with n of several hundred...)   I've noticed that the Champion Lancaster and Champion #40 blowers have the parallel gear box. I was looking for the 3 legged stand though.

I note that Centaur Forge sells a copy of the 1909 Champion catalog for a reasonable amount.

Okay, thank you for the clarification. I have not seen a rivet forge in person myself, so I do not have a reliable comparison, but this blower itself is also not very big. Considerably smaller than a No. 400, which in my opinion gave it no reason for the weighted end. It is certainly sized for a smaller forge.

Indeed, they do. It does have a three-legged stand, but again, I apologize for not having pictures ready and cannot refer to it at the moment.

If it has a free standing stand it is much bigger than most rivet forge blowers even if not as big as the 400! (Some rivet forge blowers the gearcase is larger than the fan!)

It's a whole lot easier cranking a large blower slowly for a smaller fire than cranking a small blower FAST to try to get a bigger fire.

Okay, thank you for the information! That is something I did not know. I'll remember that.

Yes it is! I know how that is. I much prefer the large blowers, but I'm happy to have one this size as well. It is in terrific shape and was well worth the price.

Thank you, ThomasPowers, for your insight, it has been educational.

Is it a Champion #140? It has that style of handle and a 3-legged stand.

See Page 10 of the #80 catalog posted at https://ozarktoolmanuals.com/wp-content/uploads/pdfcatalogs/Champion_Blower_Forge.pdf

It might also be a #40 or a Lancaster Geared Blower as they appear to use the same gearbox, but a different handle.

The midway has a vertical gearbox so it's out

As many have stated it appears to be too big to have the eureka geared blower on the smaller agricultural/rivet forges.

Henry

Welcome to IFI Henry.

Thank you for the link to the Champion catalog, I have one of the Champion Army and Navy folding forges and information on them is scarce. Mine was made during WWI as far as I could find out.

BTW... here is a good thread about getting the best out of the forum.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/53873-read-this-first/

Thank you, Wolf Prarie Arts, it does look exactly like a 140, just without the markings, but the handle and the gearing are all the same, and the rest appears accurate as well. Is it possible the gear box was replaced at some point? Or did not have lettering in earlier models? I'm well versed in quite a lot of things, but blowers was one I skimmed a little bit in my research, so I know what to look for in a good blower, as well as the best makers, but little else. I apologize for my ignorance, but it has led me to quite an educational experience here.

Only a LITTLE BIT of oil I hope or you put something absorbent under it to catch the drippings. If not, join the club, I filled mine to the "fill level plug" and it drained out in a few hours. It's not a fill level plug by the way.

I have a Champ 400 and it's a great blower, WAY more than enough.

Frosty The Lucky.

Don't worry, Frosty! I knew better than that. It's just enough to keep it flowing on the gears. Thank you for making sure I knew though though, I really appreciate that.

Ah, those are nice. I wouldn't mind having the option of using one some day, but I think this one will do me just fine for nearly any work.

• 2 weeks later...