I Forge Iron

Mini cast aluminium anvil

Hi all. I've been working on this for a while and finally got one poured today.

The pattern was carved from green jewellers wax and I used homemade greensand for the mould.

This is the first casting from the pattern and it turned out pretty well. There are still a few things I want to tidy up, but I am quite pleased with the result and wanted to share.

I only took a pic after it was done because I thought I'd have to make a heap of refinements to the pattern, which I still have to do but nothing major.

I'm absolutely sure that Ausfire will want one of these, so I will snap a few pics of the process of making his ;)

IMG_1098.JPG

Thanks guys.

$20 US is about $27.50 Aussie and that sounds pretty reasonable. I hadn't thought that far ahead Frosty. I was just going to make a few of them for fun, but they might actually sell so we'll see.

At 200g or 7oz on a hardwood "stump", they would make a nice paperweight.

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 7:28 PM, Brasso said:

I'm absolutely sure that Ausfire will want one of these, so I will snap a few pics of the process of making his ;)

And I'm absolutely sure too, Morris!

To fill you all in on the complete story, I left Morris at the forge yesterday after my demo. We found a reasonable sized crucible and a few scraps of aluminium. (A couple of Al spanners I tried to forge and failed.)

He was just getting the metal to start melting when I left.

Today I had a day off, so I did not catch up with Morris.  It's been a busy tourist season and it's the first day I have not done demos since May. So what a surprise to log on to IFI tonight and see that lovely little cast aluminium anvil!

I know that Morris likes a challenge and I think he won't stop with aluminium. There will be a brass anvil on the horizon soon. And how about a tin anvil? Herberton was established on the back of the tin discoveries here. What a great selling item. They would be heavy little paperweights. Engrave them with Pure Herberton Tin (I'll do that for you) and I'll guarantee you'll sell as many as you can make … and for a lot more than $27!

Anyway, that's a great little casting and I look forward to seeing it in person at work tomorrow.

Wow Aus! Your photos make it look so simple!

1. The pattern. Green jewellers wax. Scaled from a google images pic to 90mm length on my pc screen then traced (paper on the screen style) and transferred to wax. Carved using mini milling machine, hacksaw, wax file, scalpel blade and various other methods. Cut in half with hacksaw and locating pins epoxied in.

2. Flat half of pattern, lightly powdered in the cope or drag... I can never remember which is which.

3. Ramming a bit of sand

4. Cracked a crucible but proceeding anyway.

5, 6 and 7. Powdering the parting surface with an old tin of Johnson's Baby Powder.

8. Pulling the pipe after ramming the top half.

9. Separated the two half. Looks good.

10. Cut the runner? with pocket knife and press loose sand back in.

11. Pour. Without degassing or anything fancy.

12, 13. Played the waiting game. It is like opening a Christmas present.

Thanks for letting me use the forge and taking some lovely pics Aus!

Any tips and tricks, questions or constructive criticism welcome.

Brasso

• 3 weeks later...

OK, so here's the next instalment of the miniature anvil casting demos.

On the left we have an anvil cast from printer's lead. We have a lot of old type setting letters and advertising plates and they melt down easily. Apparently there is a percentage of antimony in the mix which makes it a little harder than lead alone.

The one on the right is cast from pure tin. Very easy to melt. A good one to demonstrate for visitors to our museum, as our town of Herberton was founded in 1880 on the back of tin discoveries here.

Thanks to Brasso for his skill in setting up the casting process and demonstrating for forge visitors. The bottle cap is for size comparison: 

baby anvils.JPG