I Forge Iron

Sears 5162 Anvil

I picked up this sears 5162, 100 lb anvil yesterday, and I am having trouble finding any information about it online.  Does anyone know the age and quality of these anvils?  The old guy I got it off of said he bought it in 1981 or 82, but didn't know anything else about it.

Thanks

20180916_095938.jpg

20180916_095927.jpg

I hope you didn't give much for it, I'm pretty sure it's cast iron junk. I believe I can see hammer marks in the face even from here. Sears hasn't provided much of anything of quality since it started going down hill a some years ago. It's sad, Sears used to mean affordable quality now it's an available mostly empty parking lot for car poolers. They no longer have a service department and have subbed their brand to the lowest bidders. Craftsman is no longer the lifetime quality purchase, even the guarantee isn't much. 

Don't despair it's not a total loss, it has a hardy hole and some weight so it can serve for that. I wouldn't start using it as a cutting plate till I ran out of uses.

Keep hunting Brother. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Maybe an Aso, maybe not so much. I dont know because I haven't checked it. Get it?.... well with more knowledge you will see whats what. 

Use it as stated above with Hot steel. Limit miss strikes and once you have made enough using it you can afford a better one.

We all start somewhere and improve from there. 

On 9/16/2018 at 3:32 PM, Stash said:

I dunno- looks to be a cast iron ASO. Not like the Acme, made by Trenton they used to sell.

Steve

There was no company named Trenton that made anvils.  Columbus Forge and Iron made anvils marked with "Trenton" as their house brand.  They also made them that were marked ACME, AJAX, and others.  Hay-Budden also made anvils marked ACME.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Sears anvil just like yours. I have been using it for 2 years now, along with a smaller Fisher anvil. 

I love the Fisher, but the Sears anvil has it’s uses. It has much better edges for when I need to isolate material.

I wouldn’t fret, you have a usable anvil. However, like others have stated, keep the missed hits to a minimum, be careful when cutting, and definitely work your matieral hot. 

• 1 year later...