I Forge Iron

Wood Dog or Log Dog Specs

I have 2 - 16" and 2 -  20"  Log Dogs that I've have for a few yrs.  I always seemed to loose them from sight when we knocked them out of the log to roll it so I painted them Orange.  2 weeks ago they disappeared from our hunting camp sight 2 miles in the mountains.  We saw some 4 wheeler tracks not ours but lost them in the rocks.  I stopped at every small store, rest. diner on the way home.  Following Sat night I had a call that someone had seen them at a tag/lawn sale near us. My son and I  paid them a visit at 8 pm and demanded our Dogs back and where did he get them, "Oh My son found them laying beside the road in so and so town"  I told him wrong town and kiddo might not want to take things from our camp again Cameras are all over there next visit will be from SP.  Gave them a fresh coat of orange when they got back here.  Going to put name on them as well. 

Handiness tools working with logs there are, ours are from 9/16  sq. stock.   

13 hours ago, Frosty said:

Nice log dogs Anvil.

Thanks! that's high praise and from you I take it with great reguard!

I've bumped into these logs here with my jeep a time or two because of my narrow drive, and the dogs hold.  

2 hours ago, Glenn said:

Thank you for the link

Glen, there is his 2014 demo at the Rocky Mountain Smiths conference on facebook. Its long and worth the time.

Well, I couldn't stand it....went out to the shop today and made a couple of log dogs.  Large one is 16" point to point, small is 12" point to point, made from 1/2" square stock.  I hope they are strong enough.  I might make a 20" out of 5/8".  At first I didn't know the significance of the curve, but after reading "anvil's" post I saw where the curve gives them the rebound or "springy-ness", thanks "anvil" for the hint.

Log dogs.JPG