I Forge Iron

Should I buy a stuck blower?

Yesterday on the way home from work I stopped by this house that is about a mile from where I live. It's on this country road and the family runs a florist shop. Anyway they have several barns and in front of one of the barns there is an anvil. I stopped to ask the owner if he has any blacksmithing tools that he would like to sell or knows of anybody that does. He said he has had lots of offers for his anvil but he's not selling. This guy was great. Your typical "old man" who is so full of knowledge you could sit and talk to him all day and just soak it in. Anyway, he did show me an old blower and asked me how much I'd pay for it. He crawled over a bunch of junk to get to it and was unable to turn the handle. My question is how much should I offer for a stuck blower knowing that I may or may not be able to fix it? Are the odds usually good in freeing up a stuck blower. I love the feeling of satisfaction bringing back to life a dead tool. I was thinking $35 since the going rate of a working blower seems to be $75 to $125. Like an idiot I did not get a look at the maker. I may stop by today and ask to see it again.

Everybody out there who has a blower and has contacted me I have not forgotten about you. Just biding my time.

Depends on how much you want to gamble... $35.00 sounds good tho. When you get it take some pictures of it and take it by to show your new friend. I'm sure he would be pleased to see someone still knows how to salvage things. And thee may be some more stuff in the future. ;) Good luck

I wouldn't give more than $35.00 for it. Working on stuff like that can get frustrating, although it is fun too. I got a blower/forge set, for $150.00. The blower worked great, but the forge was all buggered up. I had to cut 1/2 to 3/4 inches of steel out of the bottom to weld a firepot on. I took a lot of work, and probably wasn't worth $50.00 to start with. It took 6 months to get it working, with $50.00 of materials.
It all depends on how much time you have to work with stuff like that.
Your call! Good luck!

The kidsmith,
Dave Custer

Blowers are not that hard to repair. In 2 cases I bought stuck blowers for short money $15.00 & $25.00. The first one some one at some point packed it was heavy grease that had solidified, pull it apart and soaked it in parts washer cleaner. I scrubed it with a bronze or brass brush, and reassembled and lightly oiled with my combo of hydraulic oil and honey oil. The second one had 2 problems. 1st it was locked up with rust and 2nd someone placed some washers on 2 of the gear shafts I think to take out some play in the fan. I soaked the whole gear box in hydraulic oil then I wire brushed each gear to clean away rust. I removed the heavy washer and replaced with bronze washers. Ok I did screw up putting the 2nd one back together:( 2 of the gears looked the same and I got them installed bss ackwards:o I got it figured out. Now I take digital photos of any thing I take apart. In long I would buy it.

I've picked up a few old blowers ...one problem I've founf is the teeth on some of the gears might be missing or just crumble when you touch them . some times they can be built up with brass and re cut .I had a mechine shop make a new one but it cost.

If it is a small buffalo with pressed steel housing and 1 1/2 inch outlet I would stay away from it. I see those in perfect working condition go for 35 to 50 dollars around here. On the other hand if it has a 3 or 4 inch outlet, is heavy cast, is a Champion (especially a 400) or Canedy Otto, then I would grab it. They are usually very easy to free up and you can never have to many blowers in my opinion.

Another thing that often locks them up is a set screw backing out. They're inside and it's easy to reposition the blower or gear and retighten the screw.

Soak it in kerosene or stodard solvent for a while and gently work the handle, often this is all it takes. You may not even have to break it down.

$25-35 is probably reasonable, considering you may score more goodies later. It may not be a GOOD deal for your area though, I keep hearing about working blowers and such going for not much from down thataway.

It'd go for a lot more around here though.

Frosty

Thanks to everybody for their responses. I may just make an offer and have fun trying to get her running again. If I can't at least I'll have something to hang a hat or coat on. Or I can sell it to some unsuspecting dolt who is just getting into blacksmithing....oh wait, that's me.

Almost every stuck one I have ever seen was reasonably easy to move with a good cleaning or soaking overnight in diesel. It's usually mud dauber nests and/or old stiff grease. I recently restored a 400 Champion that had sat for about 40 years inside a barn. It could not be turned with the handle so I soaked it in kerosene for a few hours and started turning the fan forward and reverse - due to the gear reduction, this will almost always move the gear train. It cleaned up fine and worked good as new with a little oil in the box.

I would go $35 on it, especially if I didn't have one already. Like any piece of purdy ol rusty stuff, getting it apart without doing any damage is 90% of the problem. A Champion or Buffalo should be easy to fix, just clean and reassemble. Sometimes the (loose) bearings on the fan (last, high speed) shaft on them might be galled and need replacing but usually they are good enough and improve with use.

Canedy Ottos that have gotten wet present another problem. They have one fiber gear (that is what makes them quieter than other blowers) that may have swelled/splayed out some to the point it won't turn. If it happens to be a Cannedy Otto let me know and I will get into more detail about fixing that problem. I have been using one that had once been stuck at the Iowa State Fair for years now.

Go for it and good luck. Talk to that "old man" as long and as often as you can and share what he has to say with us all.

Stonetrooper, if you have a chance to talk to an 'old' blacksmith, by all means do!
Old timers who can tell the true history of smithing are rare these days.
They are more rare than handcrank forge blowers.
If possible, I'd take a tape recorder or camera along.

One very rainy weekend,many years ago, I was at a draft horse event in Wilgus Ohio........and I met an 83 year old smith who was there to do a demo.
Well, the whole place was flooded, so no one was doing much of anything.
I spent a great afteroon under his tent as he explained every aspect of his smithing.
He was a living book of information.
How many times I've wished I'd had a way to record and remember all the stuff he told and showed me.
There was no way to remember it all.........

James Flannery

Unfortunately this man is not a blacksmith or I guarantee you I'd volunteer to be his striker. He is an old man who does wood working, tinkers around his workshop and can build or fix anything. Basically a vast bank of knowledge. For those who have seen the movie The Matrix you remember the main character having that hole at the base of his skull where they could attach a cord connected to a computer and upload knowledge of anything from taekwondo to how to fly a helicopter instantly into your brain. I always wish I could upload into my brain all the knowledge of some of these old men I run into. I know that it's taken them years and years of mistakes, busting their knuckles and blood sweat and tears to acquire that knowledge and that's what it will take for me. I could hang out with some of these guys all day just talking.

6513.attach

I know exactly what you mean stonetrooper. As a kid while the other guys was running all over the neighborhood I would seek out the "old" folks and either help them with some task or better yet just sit and talk. I guess that is why I get along with my father in law so well. He is 90 years old (30 years older than my parents and my wife is younger than I) and a wealth of information and great stories. I have tried to record him as he talks about his life but he gets nervous and clams up, so now I just try and jot down what I can remember after he's nodded off for a nap (often in the middle of a story).

I would probably buy the stuck blower, just because it would cause me to think of who it came from... but who needs a reason to buy tools?

Ironrosefarms. What are you doing up this early? I guess you boys in Indiana start work pretty early. It's funny you mention your father in law. My father in law is another one that I'd like to upload all his knowledge. Yesterday he helped me put a used B&S engine on my lawn tractor that I threw a rod on last weekend (see "Doesn't that just beat all" post). I say he helped me but really I helped him getting tools and doing what I could. Mostly I just marveled at his knowledge of taking an engine apart and putting it back together. He had never done this kind of engine before but he knew what he knew and figured out what he didn't.

When it comes to blacksmithing tools and equipment, my mantra is this- "Buy it, fix it, and use it!"

Good equipment is getting harder and harder to find on the cheap. Blame eBay, collectors, and antique dealers. When the chance presents itself to buy something that needs a little "Sweat equity" to get back into service, jump on it if the price seems reasonable. You'll be glad you did, in the long run.

-aaron c.

Exactly Aaron, The forge I just restored is a perfect example of an item that with some work turned out to be a really neat thing. If you don't pay too much for something like that and you spend some time fixin' it up, you get the satisfaction of bringing it back to 'life' and putting it back to work. Otherwise it will most likely become a flower pot or yard art, if not taking a trip to the scrap yard or dump.

It reminds me of the time I seen a blower in the back of a scrap metal truck going down the highway. I was on my motorcycle and like a nut finally got the guy to pull over. As he got out of the truck he kept telling me he didn't have any cash... I said I would give him $5 for the old blower in the back of his truck. He had no clue what I wanted. So I walked back and yanked it out. The guy was really confused as to why I wanted that "junk" but was happy to get the $5. I climbed on my bike lay ed a cloth on the tank in front of me and put my treasure between my legs for the 15 miles to get home.

Once home I found it to be a nice champion. It was froze and wouldn't move so I put it in a bucket of Kerosene for a couple nights. When I pulled it out and opened up the casing I found a nest with 6 mice that died by drinking to much kerosene. The mouse waste had eaten the tin blades up and caused them to rust and bind to the casing. Once I cleaned it out I removed all the old tin blades and hand cut then riveted new blades on. Took a few times assembling and disassembling to get all the blades trimmed to not rub anyplace but I dearly love that blower. The gears were in great shape and and a few new brass washers is all it needed. I have it reserved for my permanent forge.

Thinking back I'm still glad one of those mice didn't decide to make a jump for it off the bike... I definitely would not have been ready for such an event!

James

I stopped back by yesterday on the way home from work. Turns out the blower is a Lancaster Champion. I told "the old man" that I've researched it and have found prices ranging from $75 to $100 for one that works. This one is stuck pretty good. Has anyone else ever tried to buy something and your eagerness to buy it makes the seller hesitate and not want to sell because they think you know something they don't? That was my impression. When you think about it he never would have given that blower a second thought had I not stopped by and shown an interest. He said he bought it for $100 but never used it. I told him I would definitely put it to use if I could get it going again. I said it was a risk for me because I very well may not be able to free up the blower and would be wasting my money. I said I wanted it mostly for the challenge of trying to fix it. He said he would ask somebody else (his son or son-in-law) if they wanted to sell it and give me call. Either way is cool. I'm sure I'll find a blower some where. Again, I've had lots of people on this forum offer to sell.

Edited by stonetrooper