I Forge Iron

Where to get good coal

Currently, there are about 90 active coal-mining operations in 15 eastern Ohio counties. The leading coal-producing counties in decreasing order are Belmont, Harrison, Tuscarawas, Athens, and Jefferson. Although there are about 50 named coal beds or seams in Ohio, only a few are of sufficient thickness and extent to be mined. Most production comes from the Pittsburgh (No.8) coal seam.

Contact Thomas Powers, as he moved from that area.

Being that you are located in the northeastern quadrant of ohio, I would check with some of the members of the Western Reserve Artist Blacksmith Association. Here's a link to their website: Western Reserve Artist Blacksmith Association

They should be able to help you out on a location. Also, I would check the yellow pages online for coal around the Pittsburg area, would be a relatively short drive all told.

Might also check with these guys, I'm sure some of the members are on the eastern side of the state Pennsylvania Artist Blacksmith Association and could help find good coal within a reasonable distance from your location.

Lot cheaper if you can drive to the tiple itself. Of course thats easier said than done for some, just thought I would mention it. May be worth the drive to save on freight. We can buy coal by the pick up load for around $50(good coal too)..Thats eastern,Ky . Prices amy may be different elsewhere. We(eastern,Ky) produced almost 100 mil short tons last year so its plentiful here.

Edited by KYBOY

Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 11:09:35 -0400
To: "Tom Lumpkins"
Tom

Ernie Sampson’s Coal Yard – 270-683-5512. He has any quantity year round. – Daviess County – Owensboro, KY.

There are a couple of mines closer to you that you might try calling. It is hard to get coal from the mines due to liability reasons.

Phoenix Coal Processing – Gary Phillips – 270-821-0993 – Muhlenberg County

Armstrong Coal Company – Kenny Allen – 270-821-0987 – Ohio County

Renfro Equipment Company – Stuart Renfro – 270-821-1451 or 270-338-5253 – Muhlenberg County

Mid South Energy, Inc. – Larry Jones or Jerry Creek – 270-584-0304 – Muhlenberg County

Hope this helps,
Dennis McCully
Western Kentucky Coal Representative

Did you know... Kentucky has over 30 billion tons of economically available coal, enough to last over 250 years at current production?

Experience the Unbridled Spirit of Kentucky

http://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/f7/where-get-good-coal-6062/www.kentuckyunbridled spirit.com

I sent this guy a note asking about where to buy coal, And I thought I would share the info with you all. The wife called several of the places and none would sell pickup loads except the feller on the top, The wife couldn't remember what he said for a pickup load of coal. he sells fifty pound bags of coke for ten dollars a bag..I'm new at this, But is that a good price.

Edited by WagonMaster

• 2 weeks later...

The last time I bought coal in the early 90's was from Euclid Builders Supply in Euclid, Ohio. They carried Pocahontas coal, which was one of the better sources at the time. The best I ever bought was from Emmert Studebaker, God rest his soul, in Tip City, Ohio. You might check out Thompson Brothers Mining Co., 3379 E. Garfield Rd., New Springfield, Ohio. Some guys in Western Pa use them.

Bottom line, if you want to find good coal, you will have to search. Some of the better sources have been given to you. Now you will have to either drive to get it, maybe up to 4 hours away, or have it shipped to you, then fire it off and test it. You may eventually find out why I got tired of chasing after good coal and switched to propane. The worst coal is normally free.

i have been using charcoal for awile now and like it but want to know where to get coal in canada british columbia in the fraser vally.
or in california cost mesa.

yes i know this pretty much the same thread as the other guy!!

Is california cost mesa near La Mesa, California? La Mesa has a really cool open air Antique Gas & Steam Engine Museum that has a nice blacksmith shop. The last two weekends of this month (June) they have their Threshing Bees and Antique Engine Shows. The blacksmith shop will open and have people that can hook you up with the best smithing coal to be had in Southern California.

I have no idea why you can't find a local supply of coal in British Columbia. Have you looked in your telephone book and make any calls? Did you think to ask steveh what the skinny was about local coal? Do you still have his number? Many questions....