I Forge Iron

What do you carry INSIDE your tool bag or box?

Couple of rounding hammers, selection of tongs, center punch, handled hot cut, 3/8” handled round punch, wire brush, silver streak pencil, cheap brass caliper and safety glasses are the standard kit but I usually throw in more tools that are task specific. 

I don't have a tool box or bag - too many tools.  Like Thomas, I decide what I want to forge for the day and line up my tools and stock for that project + perhaps another project in case I get done quicker than I think.  With a gas forge, I can always have two projects going at once when I get to a certain point with the main project.  Once I learned to lay out my tools and stock it greatly improved my efficiency because I didn't have to think or go get a tool while my forge is wasting fuel.  

If I were traveling to a friend's forge, I might assemble a bag of tools.  My favorite cross peens, a straight peen, and specialty tongs like scrolling tongs and a pair of wolf jaw tongs.  On top I'd roll up my leather apron, and safety glasses.  I'd bring some stock to work and some to give to the friend but that would probably go in the back of the SUV rather than with the bag.  Travel light and carry a big hammer ;) 

I hollowed out an old black plastic angle grinder box for my small demo/project travel kit. It will hold favorite cross peen, small ball peen, 2-3 favorite all purpose tongs. Scroll pliers,  several punches,  10" 1/2 rd.file. wire brush, kevlar gloves, small towel, white chalk pencil, touch mark. And a small unopened tube of super glue, for bad cuts, which fortunately I have never had to use, and a small tube with aspirin in it.

Made a copper name plate with my mark on it and riveted it to the top. Al

We have a comprehensive first aid kit in each of our vehicles so no need to pack them. As far as tools in our buckets, what everyone else have said + any specialty tools like spring fuller, twisting wrench, rasp, etc depending on what we may forge at meetings. Safety gear goes in a separate bag usually a large plastic shopping bag. Since my wife is of Puerto Rican heritage, she calls it our Puerto Rican luggage.:D

Although this thread focuses on smithing tools, there are a couple of other tools that are NEVER out of my carry bag wherever I go.  Those things that you scream in anguish when you don't have them but need to do virtually whatever repair comes up.

1)  A top quality 4-in-one screwdriver.  No junk here as a junky screwdriver sucks.

2)  Top quality larger end nippers---with end nippers you can pull, twist, cut larger wires,  and metals, Strip electrical wires in a pinch, and even grab some smaller nuts if the screw is rotating.

3) 10 or 12" sized open end adjustable wrench--can also be used as a makeshift tapping hammer when the desperation arises.

4) One of the new LED super bright pocket lights--the ones that give area coverage rather than a flashlight.Preferably with a magnet to hold it in place and a clip for your shirt.

5) Adjustable water pump pliers (as apposed to regular pliers..more versatile, grab large to small)