I Forge Iron

Bellows table for $65?

Howdy smiths,

I saw this posted locally for $65. I know very little about bellows except that they are big collectors items and usually sell for alot. Some nut job made this one into a table, and even though I wouldn't use it if I bought it I'd probably try to resell it. Does this look like something that I could make money on in its current state? Should I buy? Thanks

1431823137_ScreenShot2018-07-01at9_14_17AM.png.1be760a4a1d822559b70689a78b33299.png754242403_ScreenShot2018-07-01at9_16_02AM.png.111f7497a53517389bde36357db9e213.png

Looks like it might be in rough shape. Hard to tell without a closer look and knowing what you are looking at. The leather towards the nozzle is not original to it. Even if the wood is not rotted it would need new leather and probably a full rebuild. 

Is it worth it to buy and resell? Maybe. Maybe not. I'm silly enough that I'd  buy it for around $40-50. thinking I might get around to repairing it if the wood was good. Others "might" pay more or less. There is a behind for every seat and someone out there would love it as a coffee table. :rolleyes:

I'ld give $65 for it if it was close. I've rebuilt several old bellows like this. Rebuilding one is a good experience,  and repaired it would be a great addition to a portable demo. setup. Also repaired it would be a wonder exhibit in a hands on museum, where youngsters could see how things were done pre keyboard. Al 

What is that leather and those hundred phillips screws hiding?  Could be covering some severe damage.

That being said, if I had $ 65 not doing anything and it was the size it appears to be (the photo makes it hard to judge true size), I'd probably spring for it with the idea of restoring.  

As to immediate resale value...IMO it's a bit too jacked up to be shabby chic at this point.  Most decorator items need a little less of the bad damage this one shows to be desirable.  You might flip it for a small profit in the right market but it's no big money maker.

• 2 weeks later...

My brother in-laws had a coffee table made with a massive bellow in perfect condition. Paid a fortune for it, but they used to pay for everything too much just to show off. That one looks in bad shape. I am sure you could rebuild it to get it to work for a forge. To make it look good for a coffee table ... not really.

But that is me.