I Forge Iron

Mystry file

So a while back when i first started blacksmithing i purchased a box of 100 new old stock random files for $ 50 figuring anything i did not want i could always forge into somthing else in the box came all manner of single cut and double cut files and rasps rounds triangular half round , bandsaw files..... along with all that came three files? Made by nickelson usa that look like the following images it may be hard to tell but there are only file teeth cut on  the lower half of the back. The sides are smoth and it is shaped like a knife file but all descriptions i have seen for knife files would still have teeth cut into the flat sides of the file? The crossection is a long wedge with a square back. 

Anybody have any ideas what the intended purpose of this file is?

2D7156AB-C119-4BE4-B7FD-839DC9DBE1D0.jpeg

DC54F3BE-62C1-437A-9613-ABB01B16F919.jpeg

9E2AB607-C57F-457B-86FD-9A9CB8F7B4CF.jpeg

4646BA8D-26D1-48B3-942B-5F2E7DCC87B1.jpeg

E733D2C4-F3D7-4720-9907-E7891D7096B9.jpeg

My guess is that someone ground out those sides to create a “safe edge” so they could file away knowing they wouldn’t affect adjoining parts of the work piece.  It’s a pretty common practice that had no idea about until recently.  Must have been a really weird spot to file.

Dang it...I know I've seen that file style and use before and it's buried in the rusty recesses of my brain.  I'm going to be stewing and trying to remember to the point where it drives me crazy.  Seems to be filed (no pun) in the same bent-brain cabinet as babbitt scrapers of old...

The back is the only part that is cut? The two flats are safe, and the file is factory new. I could see using it to file the very corner of a square notch in a part though. It seemes to me i would want to blunt the edge not in use though as it is sharp like a knife.

Filing keyways seems like a pretty good use though frosty.

thanks 

The sides are not cut the back is rough or bastard cut

i can see how it would get you into the corner of a right angle notch as the safe side riding the side of the notch would raise tge back enough to grt into the 90  degree corner

It's got me a bit confused as to the cut.  I just pulled one out of the new bin of files that was exactly the opposite of yours, no cut on the spine but cut everywhere else as expected.

I did find one partial reference that wasn't enough of a "sure thing" to post--same style file, implied it had safe sides, used in piano work--such as when you re-key and need to file the notch/cutout in the white keys to length in order to clear the black keys.  There wasn't enough info to confirm the file was the same as yours but I can see that being a reasonable use for one that is safe in the sides and only cut on the spine.