I Forge Iron

Sweden Anvil - Looking for Info

Hello all,

Been lurking here for a week or so, Just getting into blacksmithing. My great grandfather was a blacksmith and I have his anvil and vise. I know nothing about anything and wanted to see if there was any information I could get regarding these items. 

The anvil has "66 Lbs" and "Sweden" stamped on the side. Seems to have a little damage on the top. It has been used as decoration or been in storage for my entire life so I don't know anything specific about it.

Planning to use it whenever I actually get started since its what I have. Really just trying to figure out what I'm working with here. Thanks in advance!

DL links remove

here's the pics so you don't have to download, still figuring this out... 

Also, I have read the "read this first" post, and have read to wire brush it but not mill it or anything like that. Any other care tips would be appreciated.

20180626_144353.jpg

20180626_144253.jpg

20180626_144346.jpg

Don't use sledge hammers on it! (It's *small*)

Hot steel will polish the face over time after you wirebrush off any loose rust.

Using google chrome to search on:    straight razor logo on anvil site:iforgeiron.com

"your anvil is a Soderfors, one of the best, if not the very best anvil ever made. the razor and crown part of the soderfors logo. the are cast solid high carbon steel." Tubalcain2

The anvil from that thread had a date on the front foot.

Thanks Thomas! Looking forward to learning about it. What about the damaged part on the top? Is that going to cause issues? Should I just not hammer anything on it or not worry about it at all? 

Location and Pic added. 

you could tap the area around the damage with a small hammer, the sound will change if there is any more damage you cannot see, mark any area where the sound is different and post a picture of it.

use the rest of the anvil, it is a small anvil for small jobs, it will work well for that and using it will shine it up, areas not used would be made to look better by rubbing in some linseed oil.

do not use the anvil for big jobs or with a big hammer and it will still be in good condition when your grandchildren inherit it.

Iron Dwarf, I did the tap test you mentioned. I found one spot that sounded a little different. On the picture above its the spot about an inch below the hardie hole. I took a video so anyone who would like to hear it can:

https://youtu.be/EydfTRddpt4

I read on the forum someone had a "rule" of 1 pound of hammer for every 20 pounds of anvil weight. by that I could use up to a 3 pound hammer on this. Could someone give me an idea of what kinds of work an anvil of this size/weight would be good for?

Thanks for all the replies so far folks!

That's a sweet little anvil. It sounds okay from here there's quite a bit of change in tone when you move from the body to the horn or tail, I think it's so abrupt in part because of the weight of the hammer. You can see it moving the anvil and a good example of why I recommend a small bearing, 1/2" max for rebound testing or a LIGHT hammer, a couple ounces. What we're listening and watching for is the effects of the compression waves traveling through the anvil. A heavier hammer or bearing ball can move the whole anvil and that doesn't tell us what we're watching for.

The edge chipping might want a little dressing but till you've used it a while I'd recommend you just stay off that edge. It's a good size for a portable but certainly not for heavy work. Someone taking a too large hammer too it and missing blow(s) on that edge is why it's damaged. If after using it for some time you decide it's good for what you like is a good time to maybe dress the chipped edge with a grinder. Radius it, square sharp edges do more damage than good.

I'm a huge fan of cast Swedish steel anvils, I have a 125 lb. Soderfors, Sorceress #5, other than the foundry name I don't know what the other name and # mean and don't care enough to even web search it. She moves steel like a dream, best I've ever used, what do I care about the rest? Oh she was cast in 1926.

Frosty The Lucky.