I Forge Iron

Found a new replacement anvil!

Jim was able to connect us up-

462 pound FW Krageloh. Forged in Germany in 1940. Tremendous rebound. A nice wide flat face, with clean useable edges. Face has very minor dings on it

Anvil1.jpg

Anvil2.jpg

Anvil3.jpg

Anvil4.jpg

Anvil5.jpg

Anvil6.jpg

Anvil7.jpg

Anvil8.jpg

Anvil9.jpg

Anvil10.jpg

Due in next Tuesday- this is better than Christmas! And even harder to wait for!

Thanks, Jim and Glenn!

Dave

Supposed to get to the trucking company today!

I think my current baby is a PW, around 150 pounds. And it will go away after the new one gets in the shop and has been used for a week or so. Maybe I won't like the new one [yeah, that's gonna happen].

Dave

Last anvil I added to my harem was by "blacksmith's mail" so I didn't know when it would show up----the student carrying it for me didn't tell me when he picked it up and just left it in my shop to see how long it would take me to notice.  First time I was in the shop after than I turned around and saw it and said "Where did that come from?"

They are out there, FlatLiner. Took me many years to find one in good enough condition when I had the money available and at a price I thought was fair. Never found one for even $3-$4 a pound in the last several years which is what I had hoped for. Very glad that mine is on the way :) Hang in there and keep saving and looking.

Dave

4 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Much more pleasant a surprise than when I was just getting started smithing and went out to my backyard and my 199# anvil was gone...Only 1 I had then.

People ask me all the time why I don't just leave everything set-up outside because it takes me 45 minutes to get set-up to forge after moving everything outside, setting up my work table, lining up my tools, and getting the forge ready.  30 minutes just to pack it all in.  So I have 1 1/4 hours of non-forging time, but at least my tools are locked up in the garage when I'm done.  I used to catch shoplifters for a living many years ago, and I've seen everything stolen from Kool-Aid packets to mannequin hands and even a whole Strip Loin so I'm not surprise your anvil came up missing but dang surprised they had the means to efficiently make off with it being 199 #'s.  That's a two man & truck operation which is not exactly under the radar. 

And it was back in the early 1980's in Oklahoma before the big rise in prices and it was in my backyard and was stolen after we had *7* layers of shingles torn off and the entire yard was half a foot deep in very nail infested shingles---the lowest layer(s) were wooden ones...I was young and of little experience and went out and bought an 220# ASO at anvil price so I could do a Museum Demo.  Hence my STRONG views on getting someone who knows what is what to vet anvils before purchase.

Now it all makes sense Thomas!  You've saved countless of us from making the same mistake.  Somewhere some ASO company has your picture with a bounty on your head :D  In all seriousness though, I remember when I was looking for my first anvil I read a lot of posts with your input and it did help a lot.  That along with your tried and true method of locating anvils, led me to a decent anvil.