I Forge Iron

Legless Blacksmith Vise

ChunkOSteel

Hey everyone, 

went on a google image adventure looking at post vises and came across a post vise that didn’t have an actual leg but a bracket at the bottom that was mounted to a bench leg. It had a normal collar mounting system at the top. Anyone have any ideas what this was and where you would have the best luck sourcing one or is it most likely just a modified traditional post vise?

Thanks everyone!

Sorry, I should have stated in the original post that I didn’t think to actually save the picture I found. I have been looking for a bit now for it and can’t seem to find it again. Like trying to find a needle in a pile of needles.

What he said. 

There were "post vise" that mounted on the tongue of a wagon. Could it be one of those? I have one, unfortunately I'm missing some of the bottom bracket as it was welded to the back of a jeep when I got it. 

Looks to me this is mounted  on a wagon tongue, used by both sides during Civil War, Spanish American war.  Gentleman here on IFI wrote and sells a book on Civil War Farriers.   Doesn't look like it would mount on a bench with the "Fang" sticking down on the top mount but would keep it from slipping on a wagon tongue. 

Does not look like the wagon tongue vise mounts I have seen. You would NOT want to damage the wagon tongue on your mission critical transportation device.  I have seen several like that used for work benches where you would expect to install it and leave it in place.  Even nowadays I don't have any problems drilling holes in a workbench top to mount a vise to it. Wagon tongue vises clamp to the tongue and don't drive spurs into it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 6" vice built with no leg, I've always known it as a flogging vice.

It is mounted by bolting to a shorter post than usual and because it is so low, top tools or heavy sledges are not a problem like they are on a normal height vice.

Notice I have spelled it "vice" since it is from an english speaking maker.