I Forge Iron

What pin material to use on Damascus bolsters

Aaron Gouge

Hey all, 

Working on a Persian fighter inspired knife. I plan to use Damascus steel from bolsters.  I plan on using pins to help hold the bolsters.  As I am newer to knife making I’m looking for some suggestions on what kind of pins to use that would blend well with the Damascus.  I’ve seen some different images where the pins blend nicely with the Damascus just not sure what the pins were made of where or where to purchase them. 

Thanks for the help

Aaron

Thanks for the insight Awrkiron. I apreaceate the input.

I will be using Bolivia Vera wood for the scales. I have seen some picks of copper pins that look really good in the Damascus bolsters. It is still a option. The silver or steel look... something that might blend in more with the Damascus. What kind of metal would  I be looking for the pins to be made of??

Hey Steve, are you advising stainless pins for the bolsters or stainless bolsters and pins. 

DeEulear I am not quite ready to forge my own Damascus. I had contemplated trying to make pins out of the extra material from the bolsters.  I have turned square stock into dowls  many times with wood but was concerned about creating symmetrical pins with the metal. If you have some insight/tricks for doing this I’d be glad to hear it.  

54 minutes ago, DuEulear said:

If you forged your own damaskus you could forge a piece of the parent bar into pinstock and use that should blend in real nice

Thats a good one. I did this several times. Needs a bit patience to get it in precise on diameter.

cross wise the steel etches a bit deeper, faster....but that blends the most

11 hours ago, Aaron Gouge said:

Thanks for the insight Awrkiron. I apreaceate the input.

I will be using Bolivia Vera wood for the scales. I have seen some picks of copper pins that look really good in the Damascus bolsters. It is still a option. The silver or steel look... something that might blend in more with the Damascus. What kind of metal would  I be looking for the pins to be made of??

i think sterling silver or stainless steel.

Aaron,

If you want the pins to blend in with the damascus bolster, I assume you will etch after the bolsters are pinned.

If (again assuming) your damascus is made from 108X/15n20, if you use a 108X pin it will be black after etching, a 15n20 pin will be silver.  Otherwise, DuEulear’s suggestion would be the best option, but the most difficult for you. You could use some scrap from the damascus you purchased to turn a few pins.

You could make mosaic pins with mild steel tubing and nickle welding rod silver soldered together. Etch should give you 3 colors in the pattern you devise. There are also: copper, brass, stainless, etc. tubing available and tig welding rods come in all sorts of alloys and diameter so you can get creative. A good silver solder should work on most any combination you choose. A good hobby shop that caters to RC will have an amazing selection.

Consider square tubing inside round tubing with small tig wire between and a pattern of different alloy tig wires in the center. Hmmm?

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks everyone for the input!

Jspool I am planning on etching after pining.

I also am planing on using some mosaic pins in the vera wood handle. So I wanted something different in the bolster.

I am leaning towards making my own pins from the Damascus stock.  At this point I will plan on cutting some square stock of the  billit and rough forging them round. Then my plan is to chuck them into my drill and sand them while they spin. 

Aaron

• 7 months later...

Thanks everyone for the input!

Jspool I am planning on etching after pining.

I also am planing on using some mosaic pins in the vera wood handle. So I wanted something different in the bolster.

I am leaning towards making my own pins from the Damascus stock.  At this point I will plan on cutting some square stock of the  billit and rough forging them round. Then my plan is to chuck them into my drill and sand them while they spin. 

Aaron

Hey all, 

I know it has been months since I was asking about what pin material to use on Damascus bolsters but I thought I would update. I did use some of the parent stock and it came out well!! So thank you all for you advice! 

DD94CE48-32BB-4C3D-AEEF-99D08A5D0CD4.png