I Forge Iron

I didn't find much info for making a treble clef so I figured it tell yall what I learned while I made one for my wife for mothers day.

The total stock length should be 3 times longer then what you want the finished product to be. The bigger scroll diameter should be 1/3rd The total length of the peice. The smaller scroll like wise should be 1/6th it's easiest to forge both scrolls first then do the final bend.

So for making a 1 foot treble clef;

Cut a three foot section of stock

Forge a scroll 4 inches in diameter.

Forge a second scroll 2 inches in diameter on the other end facing out the same direction

Using the 4inch scroll as a guide or measuring 1 foot from the bottom bend the middle price in a half circle fashion where in intersects the large scroll directly half way through making the peice 1 foot tall.

20180509_000306.jpg

14 hours ago, Glenn said:

Weld a piece of pipe for the top loop of the cleft to go around and it will have a much smoother look.

Kind of like a bending hardee tool?

15 hours ago, ausfire said:

A jig makes life easier:

Nice jig I'll have to check into that it would help with the positioning a ton lol is that just a 1/4 inch plate?

2 hours ago, Davishomesteadandforge said:

Kind of like a bending hardee tool?

Not really though you can make them fit the hardy hole. Using pipe or any shape to help form steel, especially for consistent bends, is commonly called a "Jig", the pipe in this case would be a "die". Look at some of the benders the guys are making using old socket wrenches and breaker bars. Note how they are set up to be adjustable in the vise. DARN I couldn't find one of the many benders using socket wrenches. The following "blueprint" shows a basic shop build bender. Scroll down the page. 

https://www.iforgeiron.com/index2.html/blueprints/original-series/bp0062-s-hook-bender-r290/

Frosty The Lucky.

18 hours ago, Davishomesteadandforge said:

Nice jig I'll have to check into that it would help with the positioning a ton lol is that just a 1/4 inch plate?

Yep, with 1/4 inch tank bolts screwed through and welded on the back.

• 1 month later...

A little late on this.

I don't use jugs for bending. I use scrolling forks and a scrolling wrench made to fit the stock size.

Tho only critique I'd give you is figuring out your originall stock length.

Draw your scroll full size, no matter how simple or complex. Then with a string or piece of say 14 Gage electrical wire, measure the centerline of your scroll. This will be your starting length.

When you bend a piece of steel, the outer edge draws out(grows), and the inside edge upsets(gets shorter), but the centerline does not change it's length.