I Forge Iron

mankel anvils?

Mr. Mankel is not making anvils anymore. A foundry near him was casting the anvil and then he heat treated and finished them in his shop. I talked to him a few weeks ago. He said some were 4140 and some were 8630, but I could be wrong on that last number. You can still buy them new for around $4/lb U.S.. They are nice working anvils. Do a search on yahoo, I think you have to go to the second page of search results for contact info. Be careful, Mr. Mankel told me that some of the castings were stolen from the foundry before finishing. He is a really nice fellow to visit with. His number is (616)-874-6955.

matt

In order to find out a little more about the Mankel anvils I call Mr. Mankel this evening. He is now 72 years old and still working blacksmithing. This month he produced 1100 dock hooks, and man hole cover hooks. He still makes a few knives from time to time.

He started as a farrier in 1956. In 1967 started making Mankel gas forges. People would see his forges, and asked where they could buy an anvil. In 1969 he started making anvils.

First ones anvils from 1969 to 1973 were ductile iron. They were a 95 pound anvil with a hollow base.

In 1973 they went to 4130 steel and made a 95 pound anvil with a hollow base.

In 1978 they went to 8630 steel with 70 pound, and a 95 pound. They produced a 115 pound that was 1 inch longer overall than the 95 pound anvil and had a filled base, giving it the extra weight.

All the records got burned in a fire in 1987.

They also produced a 130 pound blacksmith anvil made from 8630 steel and a 160 pound horseshoers pattern with clip on.

The 70 pound anvils were best sellers for a while then at the end 130 pound were the best sellers. He quit making anvils in 2005 and the last sales were in 2006.

Only the 130 pound anvils were numbered. Those after 1985 had the year of manufacture stamped on the feet.

He said he used to rebuild old anvils but not the Mouse Hole anvils. He said you never knew if they would fall apart or not when heated. This was from being forge welded with a sledge hammer or being constructed, the horn welded on to the body etc.

He still works in his blacksmith shop using two different anvils, one a Mankel and the other a 117 pound Hay-Budden.

He said he was glad to provide the information. You could tell it brought a smile to his face knowing his anvils were still in use today.

• 3 months later...
  • 11 years later...
  • 6 months later...
On 4/30/2008 at 8:12 PM, Glenn said:

In order to find out a little more about the Mankel anvils I call Mr. Mankel this evening. He is now 72 years old and still working blacksmithing. This month he produced 1100 dock hooks, and man hole cover hooks. He still makes a few knives from time to time.

He started as a farrier in 1956. In 1967 started making Mankel gas forges. People would see his forges, and asked where they could buy an anvil. In 1969 he started making anvils.

First ones anvils from 1969 to 1973 were ductile iron. They were a 95 pound anvil with a hollow base.

In 1973 they went to 4130 steel and made a 95 pound anvil with a hollow base.

In 1978 they went to 8630 steel with 70 pound, and a 95 pound. They produced a 115 pound that was 1 inch longer overall than the 95 pound anvil and had a filled base, giving it the extra weight.

All the records got burned in a fire in 1987.

They also produced a 130 pound blacksmith anvil made from 8630 steel and a 160 pound horseshoers pattern with clip on.

The 70 pound anvils were best sellers for a while then at the end 130 pound were the best sellers. He quit making anvils in 2005 and the last sales were in 2006.

Only the 130 pound anvils were numbered. Those after 1985 had the year of manufacture stamped on the feet.

He said he used to rebuild old anvils but not the Mouse Hole anvils. He said you never knew if they would fall apart or not when heated. This was from being forge welded with a sledge hammer or being constructed, the horn welded on to the body etc.

He still works in his blacksmith shop using two different anvils, one a Mankel and the other a 117 pound Hay-Budden.

He said he was glad to provide the information. You could tell it brought a smile to his face knowing his anvils were still in use today.

I hav on but ws told it was. 125 pound on so maybe its actually  130 pounds.

20200316_093007.jpg

20200316_093005.jpg

20200316_093027.jpg

• 3 years later...

I bought a Mankel ambidextrous shoeing anvil new in 1972. Made many thousands of shoes on it and countless iron and steel doodads. It is in near perfect condition after 50 years of service. It sits on the same folding steel table I ordered with it. 

Welcome from the Ozark mountains. If you could post some pictures of it, I would love to see an ambidextrous anvil, bet everyone else would too. Ya might be able to tell that we love pictures.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sails. ~ Semper Paratus

Me too! If I get the opportunity where can I collect your right arm? 

Maybe it's a model with clip shelves or turning cams on both sides of the face. Or maybe one on each on each side. 

Most probably a marketing thing to draw buyers into a "special" anvil.

I'd REALLY like to see pics so I can stop guessing. Please Bob?

Frosty The Lucky.

I once had a visitor to my shop and he noticed my Vulcan had the horn pointed to the right, when he turned around he saw the Hay Budden that the horn was pointed to the left. He asked why the Hay Budden horn was facing left. Simple I told him it's a left hand anvil. Somehow I think he figured out I was pulling his leg.:D

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sails. ~ Semper Paratus

• 2 weeks later...

My first anvil was a Mankel. I bought it new in 1980 and shod a lot of horses with it for a lot of years. Being hollow it was light enough to be a good travel anvil. No complaints. It did everything I needed it to. Don't hesitate to buy one. They're good anvils.

It had clip horns on both sides which I guess made it ambidextrous for those who like to use the clip horn.

George