I Forge Iron

New Riddle

Phil Patrick

Here's a famous riddle with a couple changes to protect the innocent, although it may be inappropriately long.

Smithly, while visiting the islands came to the Island of Ha, where the natives had three political parties, Reds, Whites, and Pinks, who differed only in matters of honesty to visitors. Reds had decided to always lie to visitors, Whites always tell the truth, and Pinks alternately lie and tell the truth, when speaking to visitors and they never forget whether the last statement they made was truth or lie.

Smithly and his White guide were approached by three natives, who happened to be named Mr. White, Mr. Red, and Mr. Pink. His guide said, these men are from each of the three political parties, but I don't remember which is which.

Smithly, getting right to the point with Mr. Pink said, "Pink, which party are you?" Pink replied, "I'm in the Pink party". Smithly, continuing with Pink then asked, "And White? Which party is he?" To this, Pink replied, "White is in the White party." Smithly then conjectured, "Then I guess Red is a Red.", and Pink said, "Obviously."

So tell me quick, what is the political persuasion of each man.

What a boring riddle!

Pinks three statemets are,
(1) I'm in the Pink,
(2) White's in the White, and
(3) Red's a Red

Statement (1) tells us that Pink's not in the White, otherwise he would honestly say, I'm in the White.

So check for the tell tale sign of true / false / true.

(1) I'm in the Pink. -true
(2) White's in the White. -false
(3) Red's a Red. -true

That doesn't fit, if the statement, "White's in the White" is a lie, then White's in the Red, and Pink's third statement would have to be "Red's a White" (or "Red's a Pink"), in order to keep up the pattern.

Therefore, Pink is in the Red, and we can determine the truth by knowing that everything he says is a lie. So White is a Pink (he can't be a Red since Pink is in the Red), and Red is in the White.

Pinks alternately lie and tell the truth, when speaking to visitors and they never forget whether the last statement they made was truth or lie.

(1) I'm in the Pink,
(2) White's in the White, and
(3) Red's a Red

According to the pink party they lie first therefore pink is not a pink, white is a white and red is not a red, so pink is in the red party white is in the white and red is in the pink party.

Its probably wrong but it looks good to me.