I Forge Iron

Tiller blades

Alright, I was going through the barn and I came across some old pieces of steel. They are some kind of blades, and I think that they might be old tiller blades. I also found an old piece of a plow. You know plow points, well this looks like the piece that the plow point attaches to. It's the piece that comes down and bolts to the back of the plow point. What kind of carbon content are we talking about here? What would it be good to turn these into? I'll ask how to forge them later.:)

The kidsmith,
Dave Custer
"It's not the fact that you're dead that counts but only how did you die"
WELCOME TO CUSTER FAMILY FARM!

If they were old tiller blades, or any other old blades for that matter, they can usually be made into new blades :) Not sure about the other steels but if it had to do with plow tines, its most likely hardenable steel and could be made into all kinds of tools depending on the dimensions: Chisels, punches, tongs, hammers(?) Only limit is imagination!

1080 or 90 ? PLOW ARMS HAVE TO FLEX TO SOME EXTENT.
THE TILLER BLADES ?
TEST THEM, SPARK OUR HEAT AND QUENCH .

O.K. I know that 1080 and 90 have to do with carbon content, but I don't know if that is high or low carbon. What does "spark or heat and quench" mean? Does that tell you whether it's 1080 or 90? Please clarify somewhat, I am eager to learn.

The kidsmith,
Dave Custer

I can't say what tiller tines are made of, but I have made knives with them. Hardened in oil, tempered at 425. The tines made nice blades, maybe just because I didn't know any better.;)

How long do you temper them at that temperature? I am working on my first knife, out of a file, and I was told to temper it at 250, I think, for a couple of hours. Is that higher or lower carbon content? Thanks!

The kidsmith,
Dave Custer

If they were old tiller blades, or any other old blades for that matter, they can usually be made into new blades :) Not sure about the other steels but if it had to do with plow tines, its most likely hardenable steel and could be made into all kinds of tools depending on the dimensions: Chisels, punches, tongs, hammers(?) Only limit is imagination!

How do you make chisels and punches? I have two pair of tongs in the making now, but I am not getting near hammer making, for a couple of years, unless I have a teacher. :)

The kidsmith,
Dave Custer

Regarding AISI steel spec numbers, as a quick guide the first two digits indicate the alloying of the steel and the second two that emount of carbon. For instance, 1080 indicates a plain carbon steel (10xx) and 80 points carbon (xx80). Carbon is expressed in points, one point being one hundredth of a percent. Thus 80 points = 0.8%. This is considered a fairly high carbon steel. Steel contains typically between 10 and 220 points carbon. Below that it's pure or wrought iron, above that it's cast iron.

I'm in the 10th grade at age 15. 10xx is supposed to be written 10x2.:) Oh, did you want me to write a formula for that, or is it a graph.:)
Just kiddin'! Thanks for the info. For now, I think I'll stick with mild steel.

The kidsmith,
Dave Custer
WELCOME TO CUSTER FAMILY FARM!

• 1 month later...