I Forge Iron

Knives with various handling

This is a tough crowd.

Miss a step in helping Sandpile get a knife photo posted and you folks take a simple word like "test" and start a whole new thread in another direction LOL. Note to self: If fat finger creative spelling is used in one place, that same creative spelling must be used again to locate the file. Knife is spelled with an "i" as in kn"i"fe, and not knofe as you (Glenn) spelled it when you (Glenn) put it on the server. No wonder the computer could not find the fole - file - filder - WHATEVER !! :?

GLENN-- Just goes to show you. Not everything about someone comes across on the 'putor.

You think the spelling is odd. When the local folks see my pick -up coming down the road they suddenly remember some thing they need to do on the next street over. :) I have not had a fender-bender since they figured out how to prevent them :D Just goes to show you not all Texans are dumb. :wink:

Chuck

Heck all...you ain't ed-u-kated until ya can spell the same word three different ways...Besides, can anyone tell me who gave Noah Webster the right to say that one spelling is correct and anything else isn't??

Fonix wurked fer me..

JPH

THANKS everybody for the kind words.

My son took these pics. to enable me to show another smith, the different ways of handling blades.

With the exception of the first knife on the top left, these knives are all older knives, that for first one reason or another have not sold.

I now have a camera that will take decent pics, even with a novice like me using it.BOG.. I will start taking more pics. I have less than a dozen pictures of knives I have made--I intend to remedy that.grin

Chuck

I don't know how keen people would be about giving away trade secrets, but I think a great blueprint idea would be how to make the furniture for, and assemble the handles for knives, because these are beautiful works of art, and the handle is the part of a knife that I do not know who to craft.

Dan:

This information already is in print, published in various volumns, several magazines and on the internet as well. A simple search for "knife making" should give you at least 2000 hits.

Now if you have a specific question about something that you are having trouble with in doing anything along these lines...You can always ask it here...I am sure that someone here could be able to help you out. We don't bite (well some of us do but we've all had our shots...), and while we like to have a good time there are a few here that really know what they are doing and well, we like to help out others.

As far as "trade secrets" go...to me this simply is NOT a factor.

Seiously if you have a question, by all means ASK!!

JPH

Daniel,
Basically you have just been told by one of the world class blade makers to ask for any specific areas you have problems.
He also said that there is a dearth( correct word?) of knowlege in books and on line about this topic.

If I may suggest have a look at www.atar.com.
I know that Jim's books are quite helpfull. If I had more real interest in the tedious work required after forging I would make blades. I do have his ( JPH's) books. Just do not have the mental fortitude for the finish work.......

And as JPH said ask.
Ralph