I Forge Iron

My Friend Vickki Needs Your Prayers

Woody

I received this Email from a an old friend from high school who got it from her friend Vickki, another classmate of mine from high school. Vickki is waging a courageous battle with cancer, she needs your prayers and encouragement.

"I wanted to let you know what was going on. Following are a couple paragraphs I've sent to others, including your brother. If you are in touch with some of the high school friends you may forward it if you want:

I am sorry to report I had a bad ct scan Feb. 1. Bad hardly covers this - it was/is so outrageous. Out of seemingly nowhere a large, very aggressive tumor was found in the left iliac wing of my pelvic bone. I had been doing it seemed so well for about 9 months; so this is a real dandy. Many tests and consultations later, I just finished 5 weeks daily radiation treatments to shrink the tumor as pre-op treatment. I'm expecting to do more tests in about 3 weeks, surgery somewhere 6 - 8 weeks from now unless something changes. The LMS already had me at nearly one out of a million; lms in the bone like this just isn't supposed to happen. So I am in beyond rarified air.

Fortunately the surgeon that helped invent limb salvage for sarcoma patients, Dr. Jeffrey Eckhard, is still alive and practicing and considered one of the top ortho oncology surgeons in the US - and he is right here at UCLA. He says he can remove the tumor, save the leg, but he has to remove half of the pelvic bone. He has a record of doing this surgery with very positive results, so I am on board as it is what I need to do to save my life.

One of the hideous things about leiomyosarcoma which is a malignancy of the soft tissue or involuntary muscle is an ability to show up/metastasize almost anywhere in one's body at any time. I know people who have been clear 7-8 years and suddenly it reappears in their lungs. It's really insidious. I had never considered it might go to the bone as all my
problems had seemed to be so confined to the lungs.

Anyhow, we'll give this a shot. Surgery is still considered the gold standard; to some extent those of us fighting this do so knowing that new treatments come along. The clinical trial I did two years ago for instance did not exist in 2004 when I was diagnosed.

Since about the only mail I receive is bills, I am asking friends to send me cards over the next several months. I really need "support" from anyone that was ever my friend, or cared about me. It really helps. Yes, get well cards, stupid pet cards. I am happy to be on any prayer lists, but I'd really love some first hand wishes via us mail!"

Vickki asked that I please not publish her mailing address until she gets a P.O. Box when she does I will post that here I am sure she would love to get cards and notes from the whole Blacksmith Community. Vickki is one of us, her grandfather ran a blacksmith shop in Devon, Montana years ago.

Thank you and God Bless you all

Woody

I agree with you Woody, Vickki is one of us. Her needs at this time could easily be any one of the rest of our needs tomorrow.
For what ever reason given of how it all works, I do believe we forge our own life, and some times we need others to assist us as a striker when we need help with a thicker piece to forge.
I would be happy to one of those who will step in as a striker by praying for her and the doctor who will be treating her at this venerable time of uncertainty in her journey.
I feel it is a pleasure to be a striker for another person when they need an energy boost at the anvil and forge of life!
I know I have had the support of others in my time of need, and I do not question the positive results I received.
I will for sure hold Vickki in my prayers, and send positive thoughts her way.
Thank you for bringing her needs to the Smithy Woody. It provides me with a priority and something positive to do.
Ted

• 1 month later...

My friend Vickki is still in need of prayers, the surgery is not an option at this time and she is back on chemo. This is the latest info I have from her:

"I am involved in distance Reiki healing as well. If you feel like it prayers are especially appreciated between 9-11 p.m.
I am doing ok on the chemos, but have to bump up a dosage today so we will
see. Main thing so far is hand foot syndrome (they call it); sort of a you
name it happens to your hands or feet."

Please remember her in your prayers.

Woody

• 3 months later...

Here is the latest update on my friend Vickki, she still needs all your prayers.

Woody

Well, three weeks out of the cryoablation procedure, I am thrilled to say
the pain on the rt side has so substantially stopped that I am able to walk
short distances with just a cane and or no cane at all. I saw improvement
from the pain within 48 hrs., the increased ability to walk has happened day
by day. Am encouraged about getting more mobility back.

Not only that, but I commemorate my 62 birthday Fri., Sept. 26 - yikes! In
Jan. it will be five years ago I was diagnosed and given three months to
live. I want to thank you and everyone for their prayers during this time.
They are absolutely what has lifted me beyond pain, beyond worry, beyond
negativity.

Hint of fall in the LA air. More soon as I do more tests to determine next
moves. Love to all, Victoria/Vikki

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I just got this from Vickki, she is undergoing surgery today and an experimental procedure in her courageous fight against Cancer, please remember her in your prayers.

"Dear friends, just to ask your prayers today - I am having surgery in
several hours - they will be cryoablating tumor to the left pelvic bone and
soft-tissue area. Plan to be in the hospital one night. Sort of
experimental. Planning on superior results. Please think positive
thoughts - and appreciate all get well wishes - much love and light to all
of you, Victoria"