I Forge Iron

Height Adjustable Helve Hammer

G'Day all ,
yep , from the land that brung youse the rotary clothes line , the lawn mower & a heap of other stuff too .

Now it's a Height Adjustable Helve Hammer , yep youse read rite " Height Adjustable "

4 yrs in the makin' , 2 tries & " lot's of tears " it finally came together .

I've $ 50.00 AUD ( about $ 45.00 USD ) in this ( Clutched motor ) . No idea how many man hrs .

The " helve " is mounted on a carrage that moves up & down 2 uprite square bars . 25 mm ( 1" ) threaded rod attached to a 75 to 1 reduction box to raise & lower the helve carrage . Flame cut 600 mm ( 24") pully ( thanks for the cutting tip's Jr ) A pair of cut down trailer axels for pivit for helve . Main beam is a " straight leaf spring " 150 mm x 10 mm ( 6" x 3/8" )& a length of 150 mm x 50 mm ( 6" x 2" ) plywood . Anvil is a hyd cyl shaft off a scrapped D9 dozer

Still ave ta rework dies , mount foot peddle & cable for the drive , " find " a V-belt that'll fit it ( although it worked fine with makeshift hay bail twine today :) ) , replace the handle on the reduction box , mount reduction box crossways on carrage ( just sitting there now ) & mount small eletric motor ( was gonna use a wiper motor off a car as it'll run forward & reverse ) make guards & paint .

Will be mounted on a cement pad ( was thinking of about 300 mm / 12" thick ) as it does " bounce " a LOT .

Blame Jr for this , he was the 1 who told me to think " outside " the square ......:)

Height Adjustable Helve Hammer - Blacksmith Photo Gallery

Dale Russell

p.s . yeah i know i'm CRAZY , but i was told it'd NEVER WORK so i just had ta finish it ta prove it does ..... :)

G'Day World ,
Thanks blokes , this thing nearly drove me MAD ( er ) tryin' ta figgure it all out .

matt87 , Switch i was going to use was a 3 position LPG / petrol fuel cross over ( like on a LPG / Petrol forklift )

dablacksmith , Cool , i'll have to buy a copy 1 day

welder19 , as soon as i can get a card for my camera

Alan B , LOL

skunkriv , thanks for the idea , i think i remember seeing a adjustable bed on nature strip waiting for hard rubbish pick up ... :)

Dale Russell

Ok , was " playin' " with " helve " this arvo ( sure hits hard ) but i kept breakin' crank link pins .

So after some soul searching ( & a " few " beers ) i came up with a fix . Wont be able to get to do it till Monday ( boy i love holildays ) cos i've gotta play at the musuem tomorrow . Will post a pix after , am ment to be goin' down the line Tuesday to buy a new mobil phone ( hair cut too ) & hopefully a card for the camera santa brung me this xmas ( then i'll post a vid of it working )

Dale Russell

Scott , i took some 18 mm x 6 mm ( 3/4" x 1/4" ) flat , heated it in forge , pulled it around the outside of the pulley , let it cool , the ARC welded 1 end to the outside ( just past the edge ) , then pulled in & clamped it all the way around ( tacking as i went ) .
Once in place it was just a matter of making sure it was flush with the main body of pulley & finish welding .

Then i just pried them both out to fit an " A " section v-belt ....... :)

Still need to " find " a v-belt to fit it , i've been using " hay bail twine " as a belt ..... works for me ..... :)

Dale Russell

• 3 weeks later...