I Forge Iron

Grappeling Hook

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/28/2018 at 5:15 PM, Steve Sells said:

It is not so much that we got smart in our old age,  its more of a running out of crazy things to try that havent already been done

I"m still trying to be inventive and coming up with new crazy ideas all in the quest to " FIND MY SELF"..     

12 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Thanks for the honest answer.....     So lets start here..     Do you forge now?  Are you interested in forging? 

The smaller hooks are made out of 5160 and fully hardened and tempered, and proof tested for weight holding..   The black rope is a static line made from Spectra (same stuff used in fishing line).. If this was strung across from one tree to another and a person fell on it from 15ft it would cut them in half... it has 0 stretch and this 1/8" line is rated at something totally ridiculous at around 1700lbs..  a 5ft fall onto it could potentially send you to the hospital.. 
more excessive quoting

Yes I currently forge. I don't have a personal forge, but I go to open bench. Where can I get some of that static line? it could be very useful even for non-climbing uses.

1 hour ago, Owen Hinsman said:

Yes I currently forge. I don't have a personal forge, but I go to open bench. Where can I get some of that static line? it could be very useful even for non-climbing uses.

I bought this back in the late 90's..  Back then it was rather a rare rope to find in smaller sizes.. This is a continuous strand core with braided outer..  3mm IIRC.. Static vs Dynamic,  It barely cuts with a knife so I wouldn't use it for such things as Camp rope.. It's a specialty kind of thing.. 

What size rope do you climb now?  Have you rock climbed assisted? Ropes, belays, etc, etc.. 

(web search is your friend on this one)... 

Inner Strength

Spectra® fiber’s lightweight strength and versatility make it an ideal solution for virtually every rope and cordage requirement. One of the world’s strongest and lightest fibers, pound-for-pound, it is fifteen times stronger than steel, more durable than polyester, and has a specific strength that is 40 percent greater than aramid fiber.

Spectra fiber offers several benefits for rope and cordage applications:

• High strength-to-size ratio, allowing for lighter weight ropes that are easier to handle and maneuver
  • Hydrophobic, so ropes will not absorb moisture or deteriorate in water
  • Naturally buoyant, making it ideal for various marine and offshore uses
  • No corrosion, superior chemical resistance, increased abrasion resistance and excellent flex fatigue, meaning products last longer and maintenance costs are lower

Spectra fiber is used in a wide range of rope and cordage applications:

Offshore Oil and Gas

• Deepwater lifting and mooring lines
  • Pennant and turret lifting lines
  • Installation and construction work ropes
Industrial Marine

• Pierside mooring and docking lines
  • Towing and tug lines
  • Fishing trawl nets
Lifting Slings

• Construction
  • Military
  • Helicopter rescue hoist cables
Recreation/Specialty

• Performance yachting
  • Climbing ropes
  • Personal escape ropes

paracord from what I understand was designed to have slip (supple) so the cords wouldn't bind.. It was also designed to be ran as a complete length with each leg of the cord taking up a percentage of the load.over a consistent distance..  Sadly for climbing the individual cords inside don't share the same stretch loads and is the reason they fail..  It is also a dynamic line vs static.. So it has stretch to it.. 

I used to use it for one time repelling use as it will melt easily..  YOu use a Sen ban shuriken with a bo shuriken in the middle with a wrap.. You stand on this with your Tabi and feed the line between your toes...  It works great till you stop 1/2 way.. LOL.. 

The spectra cord is heat resistant, cut and abrasion resistant, is neutrally buoyant and strong, strong, strong..  In the video there is a time that a newer student is first shown how to receive the rope with their abdomen..  You can see the rope stretch as he applies his weight... The Spectra is like hitting a wall.. No stretch at all..  

The Ninja video from last saturday will be posted as a link on my profile page...   I don't leave these kinds of videos up long (about a month or so) so won't link it to any thread...  It won't be processed till tonight and it will take about 1 day for youtube to process it on their end..  

It's not a story board video, nor is there a story..  It's just a fun day out with my student showing him skills at his speed..  He's been around about 3 months now actually 2 of them, got me off my bum to start training with them again.. ..  It's mainly with just me in them demonstrating for him as a new skill set.. 

The hand to hand techniques shown are out of the Go Dai or 5 element transitions from way back in the 80's.. And only partial techniques As He has never seen them..  He's also never done the rope work with belly landing, or a full cat walk.. He did very well... 

These videos are 360 so are best viewed on computer or  VR equipment..    I'll post back when the link on the profile page is live.. 

go ahead and post the link in this thread, I will delete it after you are finished hosting it

Admin Guy

As a former rock climber I have to disagree on spectra having better heat resistance to nylon.  It actually melts 100 degrees LOWER than nylon. http://rockandice.com/climb-safe/climb-safe-spectra-versus-nylon/

It also has some issues with not holding knots as well.

I do agree a static line is better for rappelling unless you stop or slow down part way with a sketchy anchor (which you should never rappel from but seems to be what this conversation is about). A stop or slowing down on a static line will transmit all the load to your anchor which is much more likely to break it than on a dynamic line which is designed to stretch and absorb shock loads. There are static lines with a Kevlar sheath that are more heat resistant.

This thread is discussing very dangerous practices. In rock climbing you always back up your anchors. A top belay, top rope or multi pitch belay is always a minimum of 2 solid anchors.  A grapple over a tree branch is not even a single solid anchor. I would heat galvanized metal in my Forge all day long before hanging 50 feet in the air from a grapple hooked on a tree branch. Especially pine I have broken tree branches off hanging food packs with less load than a person.

JNewman:  If I were strictly talking about sport climbing or even Civilian repelling  or even being an arborist I'd agree totally..  

I've done the heat tests when I first purchase the rope and it passed with flying colors..  I don't even know the MFG of the rope i bought as it was a newer product back then.. 

For sport climbing i wear a harness with carabiner with ACT and use a dynamic rope for nearly all business..  I also when teaching climbing make my students wear all the PPE gear..  Learn rope knots how to belay properly, setting cams, and if doing top mount belay positions proper use of anchor points..  

Using a grapnel is a totally different ball of wax.. LOL..    The risk ratio is off the charts as there is no back up safety.. No belay, no anything but, you the hook, what ever the hook is on or not on and the smoothness with which you can climb as a jerky move can pull the hook off, or if used on rock just the swiveling of the hook on the rock can walk it off.. 

I've worked with Military, Police, Swat, sport (cilivian) and they are all pretty much on the same page except for a little improvisation between  Civy and the others..  

Dynamic ropes for what I do in training just stretch to much and even if you look at the elongation tags and analysis  they just don't work as well for what I am doing.. Again totally different than these others..   But when in Rome you do as the Romans do...  

I just snipped off some 550 and some of the Spectra I have and the spectra doesn't even burn at all.. The outer nylon sheet burns but the fibers inside which are continuous strand there are probably 1000 strands or more are left nearly un affected..  Don't get me wrong..  We don't repel ropes with devices usually in Nin training..  We will climb down or just using ones own hand will slide the rope but it's a very controlled kind of thing.. 

The experiment referred to with the using the 550 cord and the shuriken and bo shuriken was a testing to see how it would fair and I was carrying nearly another 80lbs which on 550 cord with no asscenders  or prusics (spelling) and just bare hands can be pretty tough even for someone free climbing on a regular basis.. 

These started out the same length..  On I certainly am not saying to use 1 or the other especially when burnt.. I'm saying there is a heat load that is there..  The study you posted was in reference to the way heat loads are generated in a stretching fashion.. 

Dynamic ropes are designed to stretch a certain amount to help absorb shock with not only lessens damage to the body in a fall, Unless you hit an object because of to much stretch,  but also to the rope itself and as we know a rope that has had a serious fall on it should be taken out of service.. 

In the photo the carbon on the spectra line is just carbon from the sheath burning off.. The fibers are left intact inside.. Also I have done break away or load testing and the spectra has held 300lbs with only 1/4 bundle left..  550 doesn't even come close.. 

Life ending dangerous.. to be taken very seriously as ones life does depend on it.

They have tree climbing clubs now where you can go to learn proper techniques..

The idea of someone out there with a grapneling hook without knowing the risks is frightening.  Death being the least of it.. being confined to a wheelchair or bed ridden for the remainder of ones life.  

20180501_080322.jpg

20180501_080331.jpg

48 minutes ago, HammerMonkey said:

Very interesting video. You have excellent balance! I suspect having such good awareness and control of your body contributes to your excellent hammer control too.

Thanks.. I think the martial training comes in everywhere..  I'd like to restrict comment to the video if possible as it isn't Blacksmithing related and I can't say how long the video will be up and it would mean separating out a thread or hijacking this  more so, one which has been taken else where..   Thanks..