I Forge Iron

My "Blacksmith's Exam"

Good morning forum!

It's been quite a while since I've been active here, so I figured it was time to post something. I'm 21 years old now, and was a blacksmith's apprentice from 2005-2007, in my hometown Trondheim, Norway. August last year I took my "Blacksmith's Exam" (don't know what you would call it in English), to get certified as a Blacksmith.

The exam consisted of a main task, which I had to design myself, and two extra tasks decided by the two blacksmith's who would judge me. I had some time beforehand to draw out the design for the main task, which was to make a 17th century style chandelier, and then 5 days to make everything. The extra tasks turned out to be a heavy duty crowbar and a flat chisel (to test my skills in hardening).

This was the result, and luckily, I passed :)

IMGP0394.JPG
IMGP0534.JPG IMGP0526.JPG

More photos are coming in the gallery.

Traditionally, the piece presented to a panel of Master judges in the guild system by a journeyman seeking Master papers was called his Masterpiece. The Judgment was typically very critical, as the smith was then permitted to open his own shop in competition with his judges.

Stand a little taller today after judgment by your peers in a great tradition.

Very nice, Congrats on your journeymen status. I served apprenticeships in 2 trades: Blacksmithing, and Electrical. I and remember how nervous I was for those exams.

Your work looks much nicer than my presentation for blacksmithing was. You have done well.

Congratulations and great work. I'd love to be that good 2 years from now!

Of course, if I were about to smith 8 + hours a day for 2 years, I could be. As it is, an hour a day 2 - 3 days a week is about as much as I can sneak in right now! Though I hope to get some extending hammering time in this weekend.

Bendik, what sort if any of smoothing / finishing devices were you allowed to use for these pieces? Belt sander / wire wheel / tumbler?

I know for myself, being too slow and overheating my work, I tend to get a lot of scale that needs to be cleaned off. I'm just wondering at the level you are working at how much of that you needed to do and if you were allowed to use power tools to do that kind of cleaning / finishing.

There were no restrictions that I can recall, but of course grinding and sanding is frowned upon when it comes to this type of work, so getting the finish as smooth as possible just by forging is definately a plus. On these pieces I only used a wire brush.