I Forge Iron

My first anvil!

Hi guys! My first post here and its about my first anvil!

I've always wanted one, for nothing more but to use it as a convenient place to hammer on something. Only after following one or two folks on Instagram and really reading about it did I want to get into smithing!

I called one of the folks I follow on Instagram and asked him if he could help me make the decision whether to buy this anvil or not. After some pictures were sent, I was told to go ahead and go buy it, that it would be a good starter.

I knew next to nothing about anvils or how much they cost. What to look for and how to look for it. After scouring Craigslist for a couple weeks, this one popped up and I pounced after the go ahead I mentioned above.

It's a 129lb Nicholson. I don't know how to figure out how old it is. The P.O. said that it was his dad's, who was a welder. The edges seem rough, but I could be wrong. I will post pictures later today!

Sorry if it seems like I'm rambling, I honestly don't know what to say about it yet.

So, as far as the face, just wire wheel and then once I get a forge and whatnot, work some metal on it.

What about the body? Wire wheel and oil? It gets awful humid here in NC to just leave it bare metal after I get all the paint off and whatnot.

I figure that wire wheeling it, then a little oil will go a long way. I do that to my shop table and it hasn't failed me yet. 

The search feature really is useless, the recommended way is much better. I've read a lot already in my spare time today.

Sandrion.  When you wire wheel it, buy one to fit your angle grinder and only remove the rust.  The brown patina will help with the rusting.  Don't wire wheel it until it's bare metal.  You don't need a lot of pressure, so let the wire wheel do all the work.  Wear gloves too because nothing will remove your hide quicker than a jerk from the wire wheel.  When you've removed all the rust, then wash it with soap & water.  Dry it completely and then oil it.  I used new motor oil and that works fine.  After I forge, I just give the anvil a wipe-down with the clean motor oil.  So far, no new rust has formed.  Overall it looks like you have a decent English anvil - maybe even a Mouse Hole.  After you clean it up you will find more indications of the English stone weight and a possible maker. 

Don't try to grind or level the face of that anvil.  Use it for a year or so before even thinking about it.  I've had my Trenton for a year and I used it as is and just now am thinking about using a flap disc touch up some areas on the edge that were chipped when I bought it.  I stress THINKING because once you remove metal from an anvil, there is no putting it back on.  Forge on that face for a good year before considering anything to do with altering it.   

The bench vises work great for fine filing work, but you'll want a blacksmith post or leg vise if you intend to hammer on anything clamped in the vise jaws.  The post vise is specially built to protect the screw & box from the striking forces.  Check out the whole topic heading here on vises for pictures and makers.

Thanks for the info! Yeah, I'm fairly handy in most things and like to think I have common sense. I've worked in fabrication/machine shop/maintenance my entire adult life. I've completely restored two American Pacemaker lathes that came out of an old mill basement, lots of wire wheeling went into those.

As for the branding on the anvil, I am pretty sure its a Nicholson, 129lbs.

I don't plan on doing anything to the face, I was more concerned about the corners but from what I am reading, they should be fine for now. Like you say, just use it!

Yeah... think twice, measure twice, cut once.

I have two good Wilton bullet vises I use already for piddling in the garage, and I am on the lookout for a leg/post vise as we speak to use for smithing.

Thanks again for the input!

19th Century  That name stamp does not look like it matches the Date stamp and I would wonder if it wasn't the stamp of a previous owner---nothing prevents anyone from stamping anything they want on *their* anvil!  Perhaps the file company?

AinA doesn't list a Nicholson; though there are several hundred ones to be added to that list...

The smallish letters I think you are talking about, are definitely from the PO, as they've been electro-pencilled in. 

This is what I am referring to. I was under the impression that Nicholsons were common?

Also, where are you seeing a date stamp. I must have missed it. 

IMG_20180425_203336523.thumb.jpg.ab31deb9344ceeef0efff8eca1c13947.jpg

The hamster in my head is losing his marbles trying to imagine how to open filing cabinets. I mean, he would have to get off the wheel! 

Nice looking anvil. Oughta serve just fine. Hows the rebound on it? Does it ring like a bell when struck?