I Forge Iron

New join from Jacksonville NC

Hey guys, new member here and completely new to forging.

Solid experience with jeeps and 4x4 building. Sold my CJ7 recently and now have a LOT more time on my hands. 

So I love farting around in the garage, drinking beer, and playing with fire, not necessarily at the same time... maybe sometimes...

Working on some heavy metal/wood furniture projects and that's what got me turned in this direction.

I just built a forge and as I'm trying to get it working right I'm  finding a wealth of information here.

I'll post up some pics and videos and ask some questions shortly. 

Basically working with a small single propane burner mailbox style forge I designed myself. Purchased the burner off eBay. 

See y'all on the boards!

First thing you need to do is add your location to your profile so it shows under your avatar. This will greatly aid us in helping up out.

Jeeps? You and Daswulf will get along then. My Jeep is a 1967 M-715 so not really a capable off road vehicle for the most part.

Welcome aboard Nugg3t. Thanks for your service. Look forward to the pictures. 

Yeah, I'm a jeep fan, when they are working lol. When they aren't, it's something to do. ( though I always have a lot to do. ) I have some cj-5s and other yard ornaments. 

1 hour ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

Welcome about and thank you for your service. 

Thanks, I appreciate that. Happy to do so but ready to retire lol!

1 hour ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

First thing you need to do is add your location to your profile so it shows under your avatar. This will greatly aid us in helping up out.

Jeeps? You and Daswulf will get along then. My Jeep is a 1967 M-715 so not really a capable off road vehicle for the most part.

Done. I have dreamed of having a 715 and nearly scored a nice old one from a local firehouse for $3k but the wife thought differently lol. I've had 2 Full size Grand Wagoneers a few Cj-7's and YJ's. Pretty much a jeep nerd.

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

Next, tell us about the burner and how it's connected.

naturally aspirated, stainless steel flare, #60 gas orifice, turkey fryer style regulator, bought off Ebay. there's a pic in the post you replied to on my post on the gas forges page. probably should plumb in a shutoff valve.

58 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

Welcome aboard Nugg3t. Thanks for your service. Look forward to the pictures. 

Yeah, I'm a jeep fan, when they are working lol. When they aren't, it's something to do. ( though I always have a lot to do. ) I have some cj-5s and other yard ornaments. 

thanks. Like I said, I have a LOT more time now...  This one was awesome. built it myself minus the body/interior over a couple of years.  Some SEAL up in Norfolk is driving it now I couldn't stand to see it driving around here. New motor, custom suspension, stretched, waggy axles, lockers, Ford Np435 trans, and I made the tire carrier last fall. Didn't get to build the cage before I got rid of it.

20170910_182426.jpg

Here's my late '89 Waggy next to my buddy's J-10. I built it before the CJ and harvested a lot of parts for the CJ when somebody ran into me and totaled it.

Waggy.jpg

6 minutes ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

You will not be the only Vet here, and if things go pear shaped we all pull together Vets or not 

Absolutely.

SF

1 minute ago, ThomasPowers said:

Unfortunately I feel you spent a lot of time and effort but ending up in a subpar forge design.  (I will NOT make any Jeep allusions here...everyone needs a hobby!)

Long post over at the other thread.

Thanks look forward to reading your comments.

Nugg3t, my m-715 is all original, but will need some work. It has 28,000 original miles. Many of the fire department ones out West were converted to Chevy 350's. The ones I see today are getting 5.9 Cummins dropped into them. Mine has the original Tornado OHC 6, 5:87 gears , Dana 60 front and Dana 70 rear.  Even has the OD green paint.